Hard starting problem dodge 360

Old March 18th 05, 07:22 PM

Default Hard starting problem dodge 360

I have an intermittent hard starting problem on a 85 dodge pickup with
360 engine.
Sometimes it is hard to start.Here is what happens when starting, I
turn key, engine is turning over but sounds like it is not going to
start, I do this a few times and just when I give up, I disengage
starter and it starts then runs fine.I noticed last time with the air
cleaner off it seems to sometimes "cough" out the carburetor.
I just purchased this truck 2 weeks ago and I haven't tried adjusting
the timing yet as I have yet to find timing marks and the truck is to
high up for me to reach the distributor.
Does this sound like the timing is off?

Old March 18th 05, 07:51 PM
fweddybear

>I have an intermittent hard starting problem on a 85 dodge pickup with
> 360 engine.
> Sometimes it is hard to start.Here is what happens when starting, I
> turn key, engine is turning over but sounds like it is not going to
> start, I do this a few times and just when I give up, I disengage
> starter and it starts then runs fine.I noticed last time with the air
> cleaner off it seems to sometimes "cough" out the carburetor.
> I just purchased this truck 2 weeks ago and I haven't tried adjusting
> the timing yet as I have yet to find timing marks and the truck is to
> high up for me to reach the distributor.
> Does this sound like the timing is off?

Was it just tuned up or has it been a while?? How old is the battery??
Sometimes a weak battery produces a low spark even though it can crank an
engine.... What is the temp like when you have this trouble? Is it only
cold out when this occurs or does it happen all the time?? Does it happen
once the engine has been warmed up too? I don't think its timing.....hope
this helps...

Fwed

Old March 18th 05, 08:02 PM

I have no history on the truck as to when a tuneup was done but I do
notice the battery in it looks way to small.It is only 500 CCA.
The starting problem happens anytime cold or warm.
You know that makes sense now, It usually starts right as I turn the
key to disengage the starter, I guess its taking a load off the battery
and getting the required voltage?
I will buy a bigger battery and see what happens, thanks.

Old March 19th 05, 12:12 AM

Ill have to try your suggestions as the new battery only makes the
engine turn over faster but still have that problem, "It will crank
forever, but won't fire...except if I happen to RELEASE the
key at just the right moment"
Thanks guys for the replies.

Old March 19th 05, 12:27 AM
Mad Dog

Yes it sounds like the timing is a little retarded.....use a vacuum guage
and and advance the timing until highest vacuum is reached then back off a
touch and lock it down

--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
oups.com...

Old March 20th 05, 12:39 PM
SAMMMMM

on one i found the pieces in the distrib loose. we fought it for quite a
while.
the interrupter was loose on the shaft.
good luck, sammmm

oups.com...

Old March 20th 05, 05:06 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:

> does it have a double ballast resistor? i.e. the starter bypass circuit
> to the coil still goes through a resistor? I'd check that resistor...

1) The starter bypass circuit doesn't go through a resistor on the double
resistor setup.

2) A bad ballast resistor causes the *opposite* problem to the one this
guy's got (Car cranks and fires but dies as soon as the key is released --
this guy's truck cranks forever but won't *fire* until the key is
released.)

Old March 20th 05, 11:57 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>does it have a double ballast resistor? i.e. the starter bypass circuit
>>to the coil still goes through a resistor? I'd check that resistor...

> 1) The starter bypass circuit doesn't go through a resistor on the double
> resistor setup.
>
> 2) A bad ballast resistor causes the *opposite* problem to the one this
> guy's got (Car cranks and fires but dies as soon as the key is released --
> this guy's truck cranks forever but won't *fire* until the key is
> released.)

I thought it did... what is the second resistor for then anyway? (if it
*did* go through a lower resistance, secondary resistor then my
suggestion would make sense) All the MoPars I've worked on were old
enough they just had the single resistor and a wire for the bypass.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel