{OT} -- Computer Problem

Old January 20th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Default {OT} -- Computer Problem -- UPDATE, FIXED (I think)

Well, I have had no success on my update. I cannot get the nvidia
drivers to work on my system so an AGP fast graphics card will work. I
even got the chipset update for the board and the newest drivers and no
way. It is a slow pig when it even will boot up.

The old Trident PCI video card works at light speed in comparison.

Oh well.

Mike

Old January 20th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ufatbastehd

MIke

I have a ASUS 440BX motherboard on my home-bulit pc with an NVida G
force2 AGP card.
While it's an old machine with only 386mb ram running windowes xp it
does now sound as slow as what your describe.

I'm using these drivers
Nv4_mini.sys
Nv4-disp.dll
Drivers are dated 4/7/04

Not sure if the drivers for xp and 98 are the same

Old January 20th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I tried and tried over the last few days to get mine running. I have
the ASUS CUV4X board with the VIA chipset trying to run two different
flavors of AGP cards. One is the Nvidia TNT 128 and the other is the
Nvidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400.

I tried installing the newest VIA chipset drivers and AGP driver from
ASUS and made sure my bios was the latest. No go.

It is totally insane the speed difference using the old PCI trident S3
card. For the first time in years I could even go online while my
Norton antivirus was doing it's sweep last night and it acted like a
computer should, not having to wait 30 seconds or more for each inch of
mouse travel, let along being able to open a screen instantly instead of
having time to brew coffee.

Mike

Old January 20th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
user

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> snip>

Has anybody else here got fed up enough with Microsoft products and
switched to Linux, or Mac?
Old January 20th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

I'm running Firefox and Thunderbird on MEPIS 6.04 beta 3 (linux). The
beta 3 MEPIS puts out is better than most other distributions final
versions. And 6.04 final is due out by the end of the month. No spyware,
no virius, and never having to defrag thanks to the ext3 file system :-)
It's free for downloading or if you're on dial-up you can get a CD
shipped to you for hundreds less than XP or Vista.

--
FRH
Old January 20th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

> Has anybody else here got fed up enough with Microsoft products and
> switched to Linux, or Mac?

Yep, using an Ibook. Somewhere upthread someone was talking about a
linux setup.

--
ÐÏࡱá
Old January 20th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
noneofyourbusiness

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:38:38 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Well, I have had no success on my update. I cannot get the nvidia
>drivers to work on my system so an AGP fast graphics card will work. I
>even got the chipset update for the board and the newest drivers and no
>way. It is a slow pig when it even will boot up.
>
>The old Trident PCI video card works at light speed in comparison.
>
>Oh well.
>
>Mike

Ive missed something here, but, what video card are you trying to get
working?

Regardless, if the latest drivers don't work, look for older drivers,
especially if its an older card. This is a common issue with Nvidia
cards.

Old January 20th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

Hey Frank,
how much trouble is linux to install/maintain? I'd say I have average
computer skills, FWIW

--
ÐÏࡱá
Old January 20th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
user

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> I'm running Firefox and Thunderbird on MEPIS 6.04 beta 3 (linux). The
> beta 3 MEPIS puts out is better than most other distributions final
> versions. And 6.04 final is due out by the end of the month. No
> spyware, no virius, and never having to defrag thanks to the ext3
> file system :-) It's free for downloading or if you're on dial-up you
> can get a CD shipped to you for hundreds less than XP or Vista.
>
> user wrote:
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> snip>

>> Has anybody else here got fed up enough with Microsoft products and
>> switched to Linux, or Mac?

Thanks, Frank_v7.0!
I wanted to write the same thing but without it sounding like a
"Neener, neener, neener" type of statement. And, no, you didn't make it
sound that way either.
It's just that I have been running several distros of Linux for the
last 6 years and have had no problems that the Microsofties are saying
they are having. For the last 5 months I have been running PCLinuxOS.93,
waiting patiently for .94 Started my Linux experience with Mandrake
8.0. Played with Suse, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Gentoo, and now PCLinuxOS,
My wife runs her computers with Microsoft products flawlessly and she
even has a couple Macs with OSX that I want to try to learn.

Old January 20th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

noneofyourbusiness wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:38:38 -0500, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> Well, I have had no success on my update. I cannot get the nvidia
>> drivers to work on my system so an AGP fast graphics card will work. I
>> even got the chipset update for the board and the newest drivers and no
>> way. It is a slow pig when it even will boot up.
>>
>> The old Trident PCI video card works at light speed in comparison.
>>
>> Oh well.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Ive missed something here, but, what video card are you trying to get
> working?
>
> Regardless, if the latest drivers don't work, look for older drivers,
> especially if its an older card. This is a common issue with Nvidia
> cards.

I tried the 2002 Nvidia drivers and the 2005 ones with worse results.
Same deal for the Motherboard chipset update.

The cards are a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX dual display video and a
Creative labs # CT6710 RIVA 128 TNT card.

I am totally amazed at how fast my old PCI card is in comparison. More
than tenfold even on the POST tests and bios read at startup.

Mike