OT newsreader questions

Old January 15th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ufatbasted[_2_]

Default OT newsreader questions

Kate wrote:
> "ufatbasted" > wrote
>>> Yup... sure is.
>>> Kate

>> Bill Hughes?

> Uhh...
> No.
>
> Bill Gates - you dope.

HaHa Gotcha!
Old January 15th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ufatbastehd

I just downloaded it and already like it better than thunderbird and
xnews already.
Plan on only using it for news though, I;m happy wiht my browser and
email programs

Old January 15th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg[_1_]

OK, I'm gonna look like a retard - I'm trying to switch from google
groups and start using Thunderbird, but I don't know what newsgroup
server to type in. I tried putting rec.autos.maker.jeep+willys - that
didn't work, so I tried looking through all the info on google but only
came up with the google feed.
I'm not computer illiterate, I'm just new to usenet. So somebody
please help me out so I can stop feeling like an idiot.

Old January 15th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ufatbastehd

rec.autos.maker.jeep+willys is the name of the group

Your newsgroup server is the server your ISP uses for news.
You can contact your ISP for the server name, of go to their website,
it should be listed under support or in the FAQs.

It's somthing live: news-server.aol.com

Old January 15th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Well, you could be screwed. My ISP decided to just up and drop the
newsgroup feed and still charge the same flat rate for the internet and
long distance. I threatened to quit them for the competition, so they
found me a 'deal' that turns out $15.00 cheaper a month which is what I
now have to pay a 3rd party to hook up to their newsfeed.

You are going to have to contact your ISP to see if they have a feed or
not. Google must be doing a great business because all the big Canadian
ISP's dumped newsgroups so people use the HTML feed as bad and as slow
as it is.

At least with the pay feed, I get pretty instant posts and updates.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 16th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

"ufatbastehd" > wrote:

> I really liked google groups through the browser,

You should be aware that a lot of long time Usenet people automatically
killfile anyone posting from GG.

http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Old January 16th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg[_1_]

>You should be aware that a lot of long time Usenet people automatically
> killfile anyone posting from GG.

Well that's certainly no good - I'm attempting to switch, but I just
don't know what I'm doing, hence me asking for help.

What program do Mac users usually run? My desktop is a Dell, so I'm
trying Thunderbird, but with dial-up I'm afraid I won't be able to find
a feed. I usually use my brother's Ibook, which gets wireless from our
neighbors (don't worry, they know, so we're not 'really' stealing it).
Any suggestions?

Old January 16th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

It is not a matter of what program to use, it is a matter of having
access to a server. If your neighbor's ISP service offers Usenet, maybe
he will give you the address and password. You then can use any number
of programs to view the feed.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 16th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg[_1_]

OK, well I figure it's time we upgrade to a higher speed interweb
anyway - but I guess I'll stick with good ol' google groups until that
happens.
Thanks, guys

Old January 16th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Road Runner (news-server.nc.rr.com) recently "upgraded" it's newsgroup
service, it's the same sort of upgrade that you'd get if you went from a
Pinto to a Yugo.

As you can tell I'm not impressed by the "upgrade", nor am I impressed
by their response to my complaints.

Jeff DeWitt