Air hose acquisition

Old April 8th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Air hose acquisition

Can anyone tell me where to obtain a Miata air hose for a 1.6l engine?

DonB
Old April 8th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Don Benton wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where to obtain a Miata air hose for a 1.6l engine?
>
> DonB

Which air hose are you talking about? Is it the main air intake hose
from the filter box?

Pat
Old April 8th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Absolutely. It's from the filter box to the air resonator assembly.
It's round on one end and oblong on the other. Lost 3lbs of boost,
and investigation revealed a 3" crack in the accordian section of the
hose. It's the stock hose retained with the Greddy turbo setup for a
'91 1.6l. Just put in a request to Junkyarddog since I've been
striking out with some reputable places (i.e., Trussville, GoMiata,
etc.). It's proving to be a real challenge.

DonB
'91 white

Old April 8th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Don Benton > wrote:

> Just put in a request to Junkyarddog since I've been
> striking out with some reputable places (i.e., Trussville, GoMiata,
> etc.). It's proving to be a real challenge.

Well, you might reasonably expect that with a part that hasn't been made
for 13 years. There are also aftermarket alternatives that eliminate the
weakness of accordion pleats.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 9th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Don Benton wrote:
> Absolutely. It's from the filter box to the air resonator assembly.
> It's round on one end and oblong on the other. Lost 3lbs of boost,
> and investigation revealed a 3" crack in the accordian section of the
> hose. It's the stock hose retained with the Greddy turbo setup for a
> '91 1.6l. Just put in a request to Junkyarddog since I've been
> striking out with some reputable places (i.e., Trussville, GoMiata,
> etc.). It's proving to be a real challenge.
>
> DonB
> '91 white

I have an air hose for both a 1.6 liter and a 1.8 liter, but I can only
find one of them right now and I wasn't quite smart enough to mark which
was which. Can you tell from these pics which one this is? It is in very
good condition.

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/airhose.jpg
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/airhose2.jpg

I chose the pictures background especially for Leon, thought he might
like to see it again. ;-)

Pat
Old April 9th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I have an air hose for both a 1.6 liter and a 1.8 liter, but I can only
> find one of them right now and I wasn't quite smart enough to mark which
> was which. Can you tell from these pics which one this is? It is in very
> good condition.
>
> http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/airhose.jpg
> http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/airhose2.jpg

That's a 1.6 crossover tube. The 1.8 is straight, with its Helmholtz
resonator in the middle.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 9th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>

>>I have an air hose for both a 1.6 liter and a 1.8 liter, but I can only
>>find one of them right now and I wasn't quite smart enough to mark which
>>was which. Can you tell from these pics which one this is? It is in very
>>good condition.
>>
>>http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/airhose.jpg
>>http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/airhose2.jpg

> That's a 1.6 crossover tube. The 1.8 is straight, with its Helmholtz
> resonator in the middle.

Ahh, not the part he's looking for? At least I know which car it came
from now and exactly what it is, thanks!

Is the air hose that he is talking about the one that actually leads
into the air filter box from outside the car?

Thanks again,

Pat
Old April 9th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Is the air hose that he is talking about the one that actually leads
> into the air filter box from outside the car?

No such animal on a Miata. The NA airbox is fed by a snorkel that draws
air from inside the engine bay.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 9th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Don Benton wrote:
> Actually, the parts shown in the pic posted by pws both seem to have
> the section I'm seeking. Unless I misinterpreted the pics, they look
> like mine, which is a two-piece assembly. The section with the
> bellows is attached to the resonator section with an oblong hose
> clamp, and is the part I need. It's the section on the right in your
> pics (and thanks for posting them!).

Don, e-mail me off-list if you want to work something out. I am not
looking to get rich off of this part and I would be glad if it can help
you.
I have a couple of people here who are patiently, (or maybe
impatiently), waiting for a couple of small parts that I have not
removed yet.

I could send this part out, however, as soon as Tuesday since I have
already taken it off of the car.

For those that are waiting, I am going back out to bang my knuckles in
just a minute, so it won't be that much longer.
The dash on the '96M is proving to be a bit difficult to remove because
of a couple of stripped screws, I am going to have to tap them out.

> While I'm on the subject though, could someone please explain the
> reason for the resonator and the fact that I never notice one on cars
> with intercooler setups?

Dunno, but I bet someone here does.

> Thanks, guys.
>
> DonB
> '91

No problem,

Pat
Old April 9th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Don Benton > wrote:

> While I'm on the subject though, could someone please explain the
> reason for the resonator and the fact that I never notice one on cars
> with intercooler setups?

The resonator helps fill out a droop in lower-midrange response (~3500
rpm, IIRC). With boosted cars, intake tuning is pretty much irrelevant;
the benefits of intercoolers far outweigh their loss in efficiency.
Besides, at 12 psi, who cares?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Fuel Filler Hose Question [email protected] VW air cooled 0 December 16th 05 12:56 AM
98 Intrepid oil use, leaking by cap? Dave Chrysler 4 October 9th 05 06:00 PM
Collapsed PCV Hose Edward Lee Saturn 1 September 19th 05 12:53 PM
Suzuki Sidekick unknown hose Mr_Fehrenheit 4x4 3 April 18th 05 11:19 PM
96 Nissan Sentra... Would this kind of radiator hose cause overheating? Al Kondo Technology 1 January 12th 05 11:56 PM