93 Caravan Transmisson drops out - electrical

Old June 23rd 04, 03:20 AM
saabturbo

Default 93 Caravan Transmisson drops out - electrical

While driving - usually on the highway - a 93 Dodge Caravan just seems to
intermittently slip out of gear into neutral (or maybe 1st gear?) - more
likely to happen on the highway or when driving at an even speed. If you
turn the ignition off and then restart the car it is back to normal, but it
will not correct itself until you restart the car. The tranny was replaced
with a rebuilt unit 30,000 miles ago. It has been back to the transmission
shop (and a good one in the area) and they replaced (for free, believe it or
not) the solenoid pack, and now the PRNDL switch. The thing still does it.
They say it is an electrical problem and are out of ideas. They told us our
next step would be to go to a dealer who may replace the entire electrical
system to repair. Not an attractive option to say the least. Does anyone
have any ideas or things to check?

Thank you in advance!

Old June 23rd 04, 05:16 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:20:14 -0400, saabturbo wrote:

> While driving - usually on the highway - a 93 Dodge Caravan just seems to
> intermittently slip out of gear into neutral (or maybe 1st gear?) - more
> likely to happen on the highway or when driving at an even speed. If you
> turn the ignition off and then restart the car it is back to normal, but it
> will not correct itself until you restart the car. The tranny was replaced
> with a rebuilt unit 30,000 miles ago. It has been back to the transmission
> shop (and a good one in the area) and they replaced (for free, believe it or
> not) the solenoid pack, and now the PRNDL switch. The thing still does it.
> They say it is an electrical problem and are out of ideas. They told us our
> next step would be to go to a dealer who may replace the entire electrical
> system to repair. Not an attractive option to say the least. Does anyone
> have any ideas or things to check?
>
> Thank you in advance!

By "replace the entire electrical system", could they have meant
"reprogram the transmission control module"? That might be all you need.
A lot of issues arise that are cured by a simple reprogram.

However, you might also want to make damned sure the right transmission
fluid is being used. I don't think this is the cause of the problem,
considering a power cycle "fixes" it temporarily, but any time you get the
transmission serviced by a less-than-preferable shop, there's a chance
they'll slip the wrong juice in there, so you want to be sure they didn't
screw you in another way.

HIH, AIW

CJ

--
THIS POST ORIGINATED FROM USENET, *NOT* ANY WEB-BASED FORUM! IF YOU ARE READING
IT FROM A WEB BROWSER SUCH AS INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE, THEN YOU ARE NOT

Old June 23rd 04, 05:16 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old June 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Thompson

"saabturbo"
> While driving - usually on the highway - a 93 Dodge Caravan just seems to
> intermittently slip out of gear into neutral (or maybe 1st gear?) - more
> likely to happen on the highway or when driving at an even speed. If you
> turn the ignition off and then restart the car it is back to normal, but

it
> will not correct itself until you restart the car. The tranny was

replaced
> with a rebuilt unit 30,000 miles ago. It has been back to the

transmission
> shop (and a good one in the area) and they replaced (for free, believe it

or
> not) the solenoid pack, and now the PRNDL switch. The thing still does

it.
> They say it is an electrical problem and are out of ideas. They told us

our
> next step would be to go to a dealer who may replace the entire electrical
> system to repair. Not an attractive option to say the least. Does anyone
> have any ideas or things to check?
>
> Thank you in advance!

Any chance it might be a speed (distance) sensor?

Old June 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Thompson

"saabturbo"

Old June 24th 04, 12:09 AM
saabturbo

"Circuit Breaker" > wrote
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:20:14 -0400, saabturbo wrote:
>
> > While driving - usually on the highway - a 93 Dodge Caravan just seems

> > intermittently slip out of gear into neutral (or maybe 1st gear?) - more
> > likely to happen on the highway or when driving at an even speed. If

you
> > turn the ignition off and then restart the car it is back to normal, but

it
> > will not correct itself until you restart the car. The tranny was

replaced
> > with a rebuilt unit 30,000 miles ago. It has been back to the

transmission
> > shop (and a good one in the area) and they replaced (for free, believe

it or
> > not) the solenoid pack, and now the PRNDL switch. The thing still does

it.
> > They say it is an electrical problem and are out of ideas. They told us

our
> > next step would be to go to a dealer who may replace the entire

electrical
> > system to repair. Not an attractive option to say the least. Does

anyone
> > have any ideas or things to check?
> >
> > Thank you in advance!

> By "replace the entire electrical system", could they have meant
> "reprogram the transmission control module"? That might be all you need.
> A lot of issues arise that are cured by a simple reprogram.

No it was definitly talk about wiring harness or something like that.

> However, you might also want to make damned sure the right transmission
> fluid is being used. I don't think this is the cause of the problem,
> considering a power cycle "fixes" it temporarily, but any time you get the
> transmission serviced by a less-than-preferable shop, there's a chance
> they'll slip the wrong juice in there, so you want to be sure they didn't
> screw you in another way.

The shop we went to is a very reputable shop so I'm sure all is well in that
area. I was hoping for some ideas on electrical stuff to check. I've read
about flashing (upgrading) the control module but have been unable to locate
the actual TSB that describes the process. I have also read about people
changing speed sensors to fix similar issues so we may try that. That
sounds fairly inexpensive. Any other ideas?

TIA

Old June 24th 04, 12:09 AM
saabturbo

"Circuit Breaker" > wrote

Old June 24th 04, 12:11 AM
saabturbo

"Thompson" > wrote

> "saabturbo"
> > While driving - usually on the highway - a 93 Dodge Caravan just seems

> > intermittently slip out of gear into neutral (or maybe 1st gear?) - more
> > likely to happen on the highway or when driving at an even speed. If

you
> > turn the ignition off and then restart the car it is back to normal, but

> it
> > will not correct itself until you restart the car. The tranny was

> replaced
> > with a rebuilt unit 30,000 miles ago. It has been back to the

> transmission
> > shop (and a good one in the area) and they replaced (for free, believe

it
> or
> > not) the solenoid pack, and now the PRNDL switch. The thing still does

> it.
> > They say it is an electrical problem and are out of ideas. They told us

> our
> > next step would be to go to a dealer who may replace the entire

electrical
> > system to repair. Not an attractive option to say the least. Does

anyone
> > have any ideas or things to check?
> >
> > Thank you in advance!

> Any chance it might be a speed (distance) sensor?

Thanx - I think we may try that one.

Old June 24th 04, 12:11 AM
saabturbo

"Thompson" > wrote

Old July 1st 04, 04:28 AM
saabturbo

"saabturbo" > wrote in message

> "Thompson" > wrote
> >
> > "saabturbo"
> > > While driving - usually on the highway - a 93 Dodge Caravan just seems

> > > intermittently slip out of gear into neutral (or maybe 1st gear?) -

more
> > > likely to happen on the highway or when driving at an even speed. If

> you
> > > turn the ignition off and then restart the car it is back to normal,

but
> > it
> > > will not correct itself until you restart the car. The tranny was

> > replaced
> > > with a rebuilt unit 30,000 miles ago. It has been back to the

> > transmission
> > > shop (and a good one in the area) and they replaced (for free, believe

> it
> > or
> > > not) the solenoid pack, and now the PRNDL switch. The thing still

does
> > it.
> > > They say it is an electrical problem and are out of ideas. They told

us
> > our
> > > next step would be to go to a dealer who may replace the entire

> electrical
> > > system to repair. Not an attractive option to say the least. Does

> anyone
> > > have any ideas or things to check?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance!

> > Any chance it might be a speed (distance) sensor?

> Thanx - I think we may try that one.

OK - changing the input and output speed sensor did not fix the problem.
Any ideas where to head next? The mechanic says it is the "clutch
converter" and that we need a new transmission. I still believe it is
electrical, but I'm not the expert.

Loss of Power Whilst Towing Caravan Stuart Thomson Audi 6 June 1st 04 09:46 PM
Dodge Grand Caravan 2005 FaXiA Dodge 6 May 1st 04 05:13 AM
Caravan Transmission Issues Doug Dodge 1 April 29th 04 10:22 PM