89 Honda

Old February 22nd 05, 12:16 AM
Vodka Bob

Default 89 Honda

Hi again everyone.

I have an 89 Honda Accord LX and it runs great with one exception. In rainy
weather when I drive through a puddle the engine quits. These are not big
puddles, but just about enough water to splash the underneath of the car.
The car won't restart for about 10 minutes, and then it idles fine but it
sputters on acceleration. After a couple of minutes it's fine again.

This has happened several times. Is there anything I can do to stop this??

Thanks in advance

Bob

Old February 22nd 05, 01:44 AM
chuck smoko

Spark plug wires.

Old February 22nd 05, 03:30 AM
John Ings

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:16:44 GMT, "Vodka Bob" >
wrote:

>Hi again everyone.
>
>I have an 89 Honda Accord LX and it runs great with one exception. In rainy
>weather when I drive through a puddle the engine quits. These are not big
>puddles, but just about enough water to splash the underneath of the car.
>The car won't restart for about 10 minutes, and then it idles fine but it
>sputters on acceleration. After a couple of minutes it's fine again.
>
>This has happened several times. Is there anything I can do to stop this??

Replace your spark plug wires. If you want to be cheap about it, buy a
small spray can of Ignition spray and coat your existing wires and
distributor cap with its transparent, flexible coating.

Old February 23rd 05, 12:55 AM
Vodka Bob

"John Ings" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:16:44 GMT, "Vodka Bob" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi again everyone.
>>
>>I have an 89 Honda Accord LX and it runs great with one exception. In
>>rainy
>>weather when I drive through a puddle the engine quits. These are not big
>>puddles, but just about enough water to splash the underneath of the car.
>>The car won't restart for about 10 minutes, and then it idles fine but it
>>sputters on acceleration. After a couple of minutes it's fine again.
>>
>>This has happened several times. Is there anything I can do to stop this??

> Replace your spark plug wires. If you want to be cheap about it, buy a
> small spray can of Ignition spray and coat your existing wires and
> distributor cap with its transparent, flexible coating.

Well, I installed a new set of (good) spark plug cables + went out searching
for some puddles :-)

I found some beauties + went splashing on in -- and the engine kept humming
right on through.
This group is 3 for 3 in helping with my car, so thanks + keep up the great
advice!!!!

VB