hood scoop theory 101 ??

Old December 30th 04, 05:09 PM

Default hood scoop theory 101 ??

My baby is finally done at the body shop.The shelby side scoops and
mach1 hoodscoop look awsome! I was perswaded not to cut a hole in the
hood for a hoodscoop for 2 reasons. compromising the structural
integrity might cause flexing that could warp the hood and damage the
paint job. and i was told, dont know if true, that theres so much air
comin thru the radiator anyway that it would actualy force air back out
the hood scoop. can anyone confirm that?

also with nonfunctional side scoops and hood scoop im worried how they
will affect the car at speed. ive read that all factory mach1 hood
scoops are nonfunctional, tho have seen a pic of one that was, so it
cant be that bad. im sure they would take a second or two off quarter
mile time. eventually i want to do some fabrication and make the side
scoops functional but just thinking about the now.

Thanks,

Old December 31st 04, 07:15 AM
Mark

Poppycock!!

oups.com...

Old December 31st 04, 07:37 PM
Big Al

"Mark" > wrote in message
> Poppycock!!
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

so it
>> cant be that bad. im sure they would take a second or two off quarter
>> mile time.

A second or two?? In your wildest dreams Doubt you would see or feel the
difference.

Al

Old December 31st 04, 09:23 PM
Brian Orion

I have heard that a scoop in the middle of the hood is NOT
functional.Primary reason is that at speed,the flow of air is sent OVER
this location after inpacting the front of the car.This is supposedly
why GM came up with the reverse scoop facing the windshield (on what,the
firebird?)where there actually is some pressure to be utilized. But in
either case I think it was mainly a marketing ploy.
Best....Brian O.

********************

Old January 1st 05, 07:56 PM
JS

The 1984 Mustang GT employed this as well. I'm still not sure it really
helps . I know there's a little air pressure there, but the idea is to get
the ram-air effect, which is impossible if it has to curl back behind the
scoop.

I doubt that all of the air is directed above the middle of the hood, and
that it depends on the shape of the nose. The more aerodynamic the nose,
the more air that will be travelling straight down the hood.

JS

Old January 2nd 05, 01:02 AM
John

"Brian Orion" > wrote in message
> I have heard that a scoop in the middle of the hood is NOT
> functional.Primary reason is that at speed,the flow of air is sent OVER
> this location after inpacting the front of the car.This is supposedly
> why GM came up with the reverse scoop facing the windshield (on what,the
> firebird?)

Cowl induction on the Chevelles and el Caminos. Firebirds had the scoops
placed way up on the front of the hood. Olds had their intakes under the
front bumper.
Also, Chrysler raised their front-facing scoops about an inch to place them
into that deflected airflow. Of course this was on non aerodynamic styles.
Today's vehicles are so areodynamic I'd thing the flush-mount scoop would
work fine.

--
John

Old January 2nd 05, 11:21 PM
Brian Orion

"
--
John
------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^---------------

********************

Old January 6th 05, 12:46 AM
Jim

As far as the structual integrity of the hood is concerned; as long as the
scoop was installed correctly it's not an issue.

As far as what the scoop in the center of the hood will do for you is
negligible and possibly even hurt. Getting any significant boost to offset
the drag is almost impossible. Most of the available boost is at the
windshield from the other direction... And under 100mph it is unlikely you
would see any significant boost. It's for looks only. As far as taking a
"second or two off quarter mile times" forget it with ANY form of ambient
boost.

Jim
SR Racing