Moving Fish

Old October 18th 03, 09:58 PM
david.crouch7

Default Moving Fish

I presently have a 2000 gallon fish pond but for personal reasons I need
to move them to a temporary location about 10 miles away.
I will probably need to keep them there for a year but don't want to go
to the expense of building a new pond.
Please could someone give me an idea on how to transport the fish and
what I could use for a temporary pond?
My fish range from 6 Koi each between 12 and 24", goldfish, orfes,
sterlets and various others. All in all a wide ranging collection and I
desperately do not want to loose any of them.

Many Thanks
--
david.crouch7

Old October 19th 03, 06:32 AM
Snooze

"david.crouch7" wrote in
message s.com...
I presently have a 2000 gallon fish pond but for personal reasons I need
to move them to a temporary location about 10 miles away.
I will probably need to keep them there for a year but don't want to go
to the expense of building a new pond.
Please could someone give me an idea on how to transport the fish and
what I could use for a temporary pond?
My fish range from 6 Koi each between 12 and 24", goldfish, orfes,
sterlets and various others. All in all a wide ranging collection and I
desperately do not want to loose any of them.

Transporting them is probably the easiest part, just find a bucket big
enough, like maybe a large rubbermaid storage container with a lid. 10 miles
is close enough that you don't need to worry about oxygen depletion or waste
level build-up.

I can't think of a way to store koi, goldfish etc, for over a year that does
not involve building a pond of some kind. One idea I liked, that I saw at a
local home depot, was to take landscape boulders, and make a circle out of
them, then put a pond liner on the inside, and make a little pond out of
that.

May be more cost effective, just to give your current koi away, and in a
years's time, get new ones.

Sameer

Old October 19th 03, 03:39 PM
John Hines

"Snooze" wrote:

"david.crouch7" wrote in
message s.com...
[...]

Stock tanks come in upto 300gals. The latter, being round (better for
swimming) would make a great temporary pond.

Old October 28th 03, 03:57 PM
ponder

What is the weather like first of all, can you build an above ground holding
tank, or will it freeze.
You cant put them into anything that is to much smaller then what they are
in now, Koi exersise by swim ming vertically not horizontal, do not put them
in anything deeper then they are in, Koi need to adapt to smaller areas
slowly and then you need to do the reverse for prtting them into a big pond
again, they can have cardiac arrest if put into a large area to fast, and
problems if put into a small area to fast, this has to do with how there
hearts mature and I will not get into it now as this is limited space.
They are big enough to worry about ,, do not put them into an aquaruim for a
year they will die, they need a big space so if you can build an above
ground in a garage even- 3 ft deep, close to the smae amount of water , use
2x4's and such and a thick tarp, that is what we use to bring ours in for
the winter , we breed ours, and we have never had a leak. if you can use the
same filter as on the pond.
You can transport them like said before, please try to not handle them much
as it takes off their slime coat, put water conditioner in the bags. you can
buy some stuff at the store , Knock-out is the only one that comes to mind
off hand, it makes them sleepy for a while and easy to transport, but read
the package.

John Hines wrote in message
"Snooze" wrote:

"david.crouch7" wrote in
message s.com...

Old November 23rd 03, 10:43 PM
Elizabeth Naime

Someone (I lost track in the quotes of quotes) said,
Stock tanks come in upto 300gals. The latter, being round (better for
swimming) would make a great temporary pond.

They sure do! They also come in larger than 300 gallons. We have a 7'
diameter by 2' deep one, and they get larger than that if you special
order. The price per gallon is really not at all bad.

I would advise that if you buy a new stock tank for this purpose, go for
the plastic ones. The galvanized steel tanks seem to be okay after they
have been "seasoned", i.e. had water in them for a while, but the oils
off of the fresh new tanks can harm fish.

These above-ground ponds will work fine if you can get electricity out
to them and put in a stock tank de-icer. You could put in a pond de-icer
if you have one, but the last time I looked at pond de-icers, they were
the same manufacturer, same specs, looked exactly the same inside the
box, just a bit more expensive! Use a heater guard if your temporary
pond is plastic. De-icers and heater guards are inexpensive and
available at the same feed and farm supply stores you'll be getting the
big stock tanks from.

Only know that there is no spork.