A complete Newbie needs help

Old May 27th 05, 10:37 PM
Joey Tribiani

"tricky" > wrote

> Much better - thank you.
>
> Now I can take the bits of stuff I have read from you and muir and
> others, and my limited knowledge/experience, and sort out in my own way
> what 'I' think is right (whether that is actually right or not ! ), and
> play with the choke, or not.
>
> I like info - lots of it , everyone has a slightly different take on
> what they think is right. Sometimes you can read a whole new book on a
> familiar subject and just a few lines from it teach you something new !
>

> Back to my engine ...
> It only does it occasionaly, when I have been on a long drive, and then
> stop for about half an hour or so. I need to have the gas padel right
> down and let it spin for 10 - 20 secs before it starts firing, usually
> one cylinder at a time, and slowly 'picks up'. It always helps if I
> switch the ignition on and wait for the choke element to warm up.

sounds like your car is flooding....google up one of speedy jims replies on
this subject.... look for "speedy jim" and "boiling fuel" ...should get you
what you need....

Old May 28th 05, 03:54 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 08:06:24 GMT, tricky >
wrote:

>Hi Ken
>
>I hope you are still lurking there somewhere and haven't been scared away !
>
>This group is GENERALLY friendly and helpful. If you stick around for a
>while, I am sure you will see this.
>
>Its an internet news group, and as such, ANYONE can put there two cents
>worth in - in what ever tone of text they choose. Sometimes the
>language can be colorful !

I've been playing on the internet since the mid 80's so I know all
about "Bad Days" and I've seen more arguments started over the
simplest questions. Some call it Arguements,.. I call it "Free Speech"
<G>.

>To sum this thread up, if I may ! , most people would recommend the muir
>book as a must read to get yourself aquainted ,- some dont like it!-
>also most people would tell you to get the Bentley manual before you
>start taking things apart or putting them back together.
>
>That is my experience anyhow. I am sure if you googled, the two books
>on top of the recommended list would be those.
>
>Rich

For me this Bug is a fun toy to explore and play with. My Mechanic,...
who is Very Adept at these old bugs lent me an original Chilton's
Guide for the 1964. I'm reading it cover to cover just for the fun of
it.

The Key Word Here is FUN!

SO from what I've been reading the Muir book would be "FUN" to
read,... so I ordered it. I can't wait to get it since it sounds like
it will give me the knowledge I need to maybe do some of the things
that is in the Bently book. WhenI get to that point I will order that
book and maybe give it a try.

I am honest enough to say that I "DON'T" know a thing about cars!
Nothing,.. Nadda. You put the key in,.. start the engine,.. and go.
WHen it doesn't do that I call my Mechanic. It's a simple plan that
has worked very well for me over the years. I doubt that I will ever
want to Yank the engine out of this bug and set it on my computer desk
to "Rebuild" it <G>. But I'm OK with that,.. that's what my Mechanic
is for <G>. He doesn't work on his computers,... and I don't work on
my cars. We are both happy with that.

I'm lucky in the fact that my mechanic is not a theif,.. anyone who
knows vintage road racing will recognise the Village of Watkins Glen.
And if you know that then you might even know the name Lester Smalley
who was one of the key people involved in racing here in Watkins. My
Mechanic is the son of Lester Smalley and his shop is the same one
that was used back in the 50's for the tech inspection. When you walk
into his shop you are apt to see a 2004 Toyota sitting next to a 50's
erra MG. Tom's passion is for the old cars and is real excited about
my buying this bug. He even has an old 73 sitting in his barn that he
is offering me parts from since he just wants the engine. He is a good
Man and I'm lucky to have him.

Now if everyone who is bitching and arguing about what books I should
buy are having fun,.. then it's OK. The whole idea here is to have fun
isn't it?

Ken
Old May 28th 05, 04:30 PM
Tim Rogers

> wrote in message
>
> I'm lucky in the fact that my mechanic is not a theif,.. anyone who
> knows vintage road racing will recognise the Village of Watkins Glen.
> And if you know that then you might even know the name Lester Smalley
> who was one of the key people involved in racing here in Watkins. My
> Mechanic is the son of Lester Smalley and his shop is the same one
> that was used back in the 50's for the tech inspection. When you walk
> into his shop you are apt to see a 2004 Toyota sitting next to a 50's
> erra MG. Tom's passion is for the old cars and is real excited about
> my buying this bug. He even has an old 73 sitting in his barn that he
> is offering me parts from since he just wants the engine. He is a good
> Man and I'm lucky to have him.

..................Hey Ken, I'm in the Binghamton area (Vestal) and I drive a
'77 bug almost every day during the warm months. I also have two other
'projects' - a '66 bug in my garage and a '70 in the backyard that might get
parted out this summer. I've been to WG several times over the years and I
envy anyone who actually lives there!

BTW.........my 17 year old is the starting right guard on the HS football
team that's coming to WG on the Sat. after Labor Day to kick some WG
butt.......lol

Old May 28th 05, 05:26 PM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 15:30:08 GMT, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>.................Hey Ken, I'm in the Binghamton area (Vestal) and I drive a
>'77 bug almost every day during the warm months. I also have two other
>'projects' - a '66 bug in my garage and a '70 in the backyard that might get
>parted out this summer. I've been to WG several times over the years and I
>envy anyone who actually lives there!

I love Watkins Glen,.. except when the tourists come to town. Why do
they call it Tourist Season if you can't shoot them <G>. Durring the
big race weekends it's not fun around here. Most of us make sure that
we have everything we need before it starts. It's kind of like setting
up stores for a big blizzrd when you know you aren't going to be able
to drive any place <G>.

The best time to be here is durring the Vintage Race in September. If
you have never been to one I recommend it. On Friday the Village goes
all out and it's great. They even do a 2 lap reinactment of the
original course. There are about 200 + cars just for that. It's great
to be able to see all the old race cars and you can even talk to the
owners who are more than willing to tell you about their cars. It's a
great way to spend a Friday afternoon and evening. Things usually wind
down around 9pm so it's a great Day trip. I don't recommend trying to
get a hotel and stay over,.. they are booked way in advance <G>. Here
is the link if you want more info,... Most of the stuff going on in
town is FREE though parking can be a problem <G>. I'm lucky,.. my
house is about 100 feet from Main street and about a block from the
starting line <G>.

http://www.grandprixfestival.com/

>BTW.........my 17 year old is the starting right guard on the HS football
>team that's coming to WG on the Sat. after Labor Day to kick some WG
>butt.......lol

All I can say,... they can try to Kick Butt <G>.

Ken
Old May 28th 05, 07:06 PM
MUADIB®

Sounds like the beginning of a really decent business to me. All those
folks coming through as tourists will need some laptop software issues
fixed.............Sounds like a nice little extra income to me.
Sitting in a tourist spot is either love it or leave it territory
though, So I guess I understand the "board up the windows" philosophy.

>................................................. .......................................,.. my
>house is about 100 feet from Main street and about a block from the
>starting line <G>.
>
>http://www.grandprixfestival.com/

What A great mix of old cars on the website !

( I could be envious of your locality......just a little )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?
Old May 29th 05, 05:48 AM

>Sounds like the beginning of a really decent business to me. All those
>folks coming through as tourists will need some laptop software issues
>fixed.............Sounds like a nice little extra income to me.
>Sitting in a tourist spot is either love it or leave it territory
>though, So I guess I understand the "board up the windows" philosophy.

People on vacation don't bring their laptops,... unless you are like
me <G>. when most people think of Watkins Glen they picture a
backwoods country setting,... and except for NASCAR weekend it is. But
what they don't know is that there are all kinds of WiFi Hotspots that
allow you to check your email or surf the net for free,.. The true
Computer geeks no about them but the average joe has no clue <G>.
Besides,.. I hate working on laptops!!!!!

>................................................. .......................................,.. my
>>house is about 100 feet from Main street and about a block from the
>>starting line <G>.
>>
>>http://www.grandprixfestival.com/
>>

>What A great mix of old cars on the website !
>
>( I could be envious of your locality......just a little )

From what I've been told,.. our vintage race is the "Biggie" for the
vintage race fans,.. sort of the Daytona 500 of Vintage racing <G>.
People come from all over the world for this one weekend and Friday is
the big day to come. Even the local schools get out at noon,... mostly
I think because there is no way the busess can move around with all
that traffic <G>.

But it is well worth seeing this event at least once,.. You can't
imagine what it's like watching 200 old race cars drive into town. the
noise is deafening and smell of oil and smoke,.. it's amazzing. they
all come in around 4pm and the reinactment goes down at about 6pm,..
so all you have to do is walk down the street to see all these cars
and even talk to their owners. If I had the time I would digitize a
few video clips and post them for everyone to see,.. But my wife's
Grandmother died this morning and that means we will be running around
doing the funeral thing,... so I won't be back at my PC till at least
Thursday afternoon,.. so maybe I will try something then if you are
interested.

Ken
Old May 30th 05, 03:43 PM
ilambert

Ah,Watkins Glen.Memories of Gran Prix weekends and the 6 Hours in the
summer.Ya, it was a while ago.On the brite side,you get to stay when those
tourist have to go home.Off season is great too.I lived on eastern Long
Island and now in coastal N.C. and the seasonals definitly change the
scene.But 9 months of the year the beaches are crowd free,no traffic and the
same good people still say "Hi".

Old May 30th 05, 03:51 PM
ilambert

But in that same section is the advice to let the little car warm up before
driving.Most excellent advice.Ving,vang,good,bad,as has been stated here
before"Muir is for reading and the most general directions,Bentley is for
serious wrenching,Chilton is for use as a paperweight"
oups.com...

Old May 30th 05, 04:05 PM
Joey Tribiani

"ilambert" > wrote in message
> But in that same section is the advice to let the little car warm up
> before driving.Most excellent advice.

there's not a manufacturer out there that suggest you let a cold engine idle
to "warm up"...for good reason...most "wear" occurs in cold engines....

Old May 30th 05, 08:42 PM
tricky

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> there's not a manufacturer out there that suggest you let a cold engine idle
> to "warm up"...for good reason...most "wear" occurs in cold engines....

Funny you should say that ! Thats what I thought too.

I Just bought a Sazuki JLX for my wife. Browsing though the owners
manual I was MOST surprised to read - they recommend warming the engine
for a few minutes before driving off ! I can't get my head around that
one !

Rich