beware VW turbo repair scham

Old May 26th 05, 04:49 PM
John S.

"I decided to buy a 2002 VW Jetta TDI for fuel economy on my long
trips.
It seemed to have good reviews (except from the Car Talk Guys) and in
real-life better gas mileage than the Prius and I though more reliable
technology."

JS> Did you buy it new in 2002 or did you buy it used. A diesel
powered car may car get better fuel milage but the cost to properly
maintain a diesel can be more than on a comparable gas engine car.
They usually take more oil, require more frequent oil changes, have
more expensive filters. Glow plugs and injectors require maintenance.

"At about 65000 miles there were only a series (5 or more) check engine

light episodes. "
JS> I've had the check engine light come on on my Volvo's...no big
deal, just get the problem resolved (usually minor).

"We had been happy with the car up until then despite
several problems related to knobs breaking off, wheel well liners and
front air dams tearing off on roll stops, etc."
JS> Gotta break some bad news to you. Parts break on cars in direct
relation to the way the car is driven and mishandled. If you are
breaking off air dams on parking stops it is because of your poor
driving habits.

" Nothing all that expensive. The drive train seemed solid. About a
month ago, the
acceleration of the car became intermittently poor. I took it to the
local dealership and the problem was diagnosed as a faulty turbo that
would cost $1,500+ to replace. I was dumbstruck. There went all the
fuel savings for the life of that car and more. However a second
opinion from a local non-VW mechanic suggested that the essential
problem was a defective waste gate valve on the turbo. The diagnosis
was made by observing that disabling this valve made the intermittent
problem constant. The mechanic thought he could fine a replacement
valve for less than $200. After many hours of searching it was
apparent that Garrett (the maker of the turbo) and/or Volkswagen had
made sure that replacing this valve was not possible. Obviously they
wanted to sale a $1500 turbo rather than a lousy valve. So they get my

perfectly good turbo, clean it up, paint it, replace the valve and
resale it for $1500. What a racquet!!! In my book this thievery. "

JS> So was there a question here? I thought that emissions systems
had longer warranties than the rest of the car. On my Volvo diesel the
glow plugs went out at 65,000 miles but were covered under the
emissions warranty - you might want to check that. Otherwise, you have
to realize that eventually all parts will eventually break or wear out
- it is just a question of when. Since the turbo went south on this
car, can you tell me about the maintenance. Have you had all scheduled
checkups done and have you been changing oil frequently in this engine?

I just wanted to let you know what will happen to you if a valve goes
bad on your turbo. |For me, I have bought my last Volkswagen.

Old May 26th 05, 05:16 PM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> Of course, since they were VW, they also built the car such that replacing
> the dead bulb is a royal PITA.

Wrong, again. Replacing NB headlamp bulbs is no more difficult than
any other car with a tight engine compartment. One has to read the
owner's manual to figure out how to release the bulb holder, but once
you know how to do it, it's a trivial task.

E.P.

Old May 26th 05, 08:52 PM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> > > *IF* you happen to randomly get a good one.

> > I would suggest that getting a bad one is the random event.

> If getting a bad one is a random event, then so is getting a good one.

Only if the probabilities are exactly equal.

They aren't, and there is not a shred of reliability data that even
implies it.

But hyperbole is fun when you're bashing.

> > A lemon is a lemon, no matter who makes it. But for most things, once a
> > VW is fixed, it stays fixed.

> On some planets, perhaps, but not on this one.

Funny, I've driven on this planet in VAG products, and that's the way
it is.

> > VW diesel vehicles did not get a reputation for being reliable and
> > durable from some slick marketing campaign.

> As far as I'm aware, they've no such reputation except amongst VW
> fanatics.

I guess your awareness doesn't extend beyond your own biases.

> > And yes, I do realize your one experience with owning VW was with some
> > car made 16 or so years ago,

> I've got enough friends and family members with enough recent- and
> current-model VW experience to see they and their stealer network haven't
> changed significantly at all.

On the stealership issue, I agree completely. I have heard of some
that are actually good to the customer, but the stories of the other
kind are much more numerous.

The mid-A2 - early-A3 (early '90s), especially Mexican-production, cars
were dreadful. If you are suggesting that the current crop is
unchanged from that low point, then you are just deluding yourself.

E.P.

Old May 26th 05, 11:05 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 26 May 2005 wrote:

> Your sentence structure gives an implied equals sign.

Hark, the sound of frantic backpedalling.