Header Gasket.

Old January 1st 05, 12:16 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Default Header Gasket.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 wrote:

> Not sure how to ask a question here. I know nothing about cars.
>
> 1992 Dodge Shadow. 90,000 miles.
>
> Running very hot and heater blowing cold air.

Probably a cylinder head gasket.

> Take to local Midas and 800 bucks later I have a new raditor(and valve
> cover gasket which has been leaking a bit for a year).

Gross overcharge. NEVER go to a chain place like Midas, even for exhaust
work and especially for anything more complex than that.

> Drive to work and it starts over....temp all the way to 'H' and heater
> blowing cold air. Arrange to take it back at lunch. Before I go I check
> out under the hood and the new raditor has the old cap on it....screwed
> on but obviously not a fit. I returned and let them look at it without
> saying I saw the old cap. 30 mins later the car is fixed
> again.....defective cap according to them....as I'm standing there about
> to start harping about the radiator cap, tons of white smoke starts
> blowing out of the exhaust.

Yep, you need a head gasket at least.

> Long story short, the car is still in the shop and I have an estimate
> for header gasket replacement.

Midas is not "the shop". Midas is the place you go to waste money and get
the incorrect impression that your car is unreliable. You should've gone
to an actual mechanic.

> Could the old cap and no pressure for the 10+ miles I drove have damaged
> the gasket ??

Not really, no.

> Any opinions welcome.

Get the car away from Midas NOW, before they overcharge and underfix
again. Even if you have to have it towed.

DS
Old January 1st 05, 02:18 PM
maxpower

Thats like taking your refrigerator to a lawn mower shop to get repaired,
LOL some things you just dont do.The radiator was leaking because the
compression was going into the cooling system causing seams to split

n.umich.edu...

Old January 1st 05, 02:18 PM
maxpower

Old January 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Very good, Max. Next you can work on responding to the actual poster of
the message to which you wish to reply.

Old January 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 1st 05, 10:02 PM
maxpower

Calm down Mr regulator, this was the post that popped up as the first post,
and this is the one i wish to apply too, thats why I replyed to it, hope you
dont loose any sleep over it

Old January 1st 05, 10:02 PM
maxpower

Old January 1st 05, 11:56 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, maxpower wrote:

> Calm down Mr regulator, this was the post that popped up as the first post,

Then I suppose you ought to learn how to configure your newsreader
properly.

Old January 1st 05, 11:56 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
maxpower

naaa im fine just the way it works, maybe take a sleeping pill if you have
problems sleeping. or just dont read anything that relates to me
"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, maxpower wrote:
>
> > Calm down Mr regulator, this was the post that popped up as the first

post,

> Then I suppose you ought to learn how to configure your newsreader
> properly.

96 Neon headgasket problems/MLS gasket busted Jonathan Dodge 0 November 15th 04 09:44 AM
Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Head Gasket Leak? Mandrake Chrysler 0 October 10th 04 10:16 PM
Gasket replacement - 1992 525i Scott BMW 6 October 2nd 04 04:02 AM
Head Gasket 98 Neon? Simon Cooke Dodge 6 July 29th 04 12:49 PM