T/C van trans stuck in low gear

Old November 15th 04, 02:36 AM
Jay

Default T/C van trans stuck in low gear

Does anyone know what control module would cause above problem? Dealer
told my mom it would cost $500 for part $40 to install. Also any other
possible causes or less expensive fixes, rebuilt part, for example.
Old November 15th 04, 05:21 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Jay wrote:

> Does anyone know what control module would cause above problem?

Could be the Transmission Control Module, could be something other than
the TCM...a bad input speed sensor, a bad output speed sensor, or other
problems. You don't mention what year the van is, but if it's out of
warranty, the dealer's the wrong place to go for service.

DS
Old November 15th 04, 05:21 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 15th 04, 06:46 PM
Dave Gower

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote

>... You don't mention what year the van is, but if it's out of
> warranty, the dealer's the wrong place to go for service.

I agree with Daniel. These trannies default to second gear if the computer
that controls them gets sufficiently unhappy. It might be something as
simple as a loose electrical connection. If this happened to my Voyager I'd
take it to a good tranny shop rather than a dealer.

Old November 15th 04, 06:46 PM
Dave Gower

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote

Old November 16th 04, 01:36 AM
Jay

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message .umich.edu>...
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Jay wrote:
>

> Could be the Transmission Control Module, could be something other than
> the TCM...a bad input speed sensor, a bad output speed sensor, or other
> problems. You don't mention what year the van is, but if it's out of
> warranty, the dealer's the wrong place to go for service.
>
> DS

Thanx for the posts. The T/C is a 2001. It was first taken to a Her
regular mechanic who checked the speed sensors and stated it was a
code he was unfamiliar with and recommended the dealer. I was looking
for a heads up before calling the dealer for her.

Jay
Old November 16th 04, 01:36 AM
Jay

Old November 16th 04, 05:41 AM
BACKNCARDR

>Thanx for the posts. The T/C is a 2001. It was first taken to a Her
>regular mechanic who checked the speed sensors and stated it was a
>code he was unfamiliar with and recommended the dealer. I was looking
>for a heads up before calling the dealer for her.
>
>Jay

Post up that code.. a few of us on this newsgroup work on those 604 transaxles.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton
Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964
Member TRNI IATN
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html
http://www.longmfg.com/web/longwebfr...me/web.trucool
Old November 16th 04, 05:41 AM
BACKNCARDR

Old November 16th 04, 07:34 AM
Frank Boettcher

Mine did that a couple of years back. I'll look in the service pouch
and see what part they replaced tonight and report back tommorrow. I
believe it was the speed sensor. As I recall about $180 total job.

However, since they did that repair my cruise control has not
functioned properly. Slams back from coast with a significant drive
train clunk. Used to be nice and smooth. They ( dealer) swear no
relevance to what they did. But they would be more than happy to look
at it for me. Very coincidental.....maybe someone knows what the
cause is.

91 Spirit Trans Problem Tank U Dodge 0 November 20th 04 03:03 PM
300M AT stuck in second gear D & J Bergevin Chrysler 1 October 31st 04 04:33 PM
Auto Trans Makes Loud Bang, No Drive in Any Gear HonkyTonk Man 4x4 2 January 9th 04 06:40 AM