ipod *and* navigation system on an A3

Old March 17th 06, 05:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default ipod *and* navigation system on an A3

Does anyone know a way to integrate an Ipod into an A3 which has a
navigation system? Apparently, the Nav occupies the last spot in the
stereo control harness (or whatever). Using the alternative SD cards is
an extra step which I don't want.

The car comes with a CD changer in the glove compartment. Is it
possible to remove this and replace it with an Ipod connection?

The Audi dealer has no suggestions. I would appreciate any help from
this group.

As an aside, why are Xenon lights not offered as an option if a Nav
system is installed ???

Thanks.

Bill T
Old March 18th 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks for the possible leads. It seems that my best bet is to rip out
the CD changer (mandatory with the NAV system) and install a Ipod
connection instead.

I still can't figure out why having a NAV precludes xenon lights.

Bill
Old March 18th 06, 07:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Bill T wrote:
..

>> I still can't figure out why having a NAV precludes xenon lights.

Do you still need an illumination by night, when you are guided by an
NAV?

Claus

Old March 25th 06, 08:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ed Chilada wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:00:46 -0800, Bill T > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the possible leads. It seems that my best bet is to rip out
>> the CD changer (mandatory with the NAV system) and install a Ipod
>> connection instead.
>>
>> I still can't figure out why having a NAV precludes xenon lights.

> I can only think of the battery/alternator requirements. Perhaps
> they're both heavy power drains so you can only have one or the other.

Probably not. In my last car (a Mini Cooper) the NAV and Xenons
coexisted just fine.

The Audi dealer didn't know the answer either.

Bill T
Old March 26th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ed Chilada wrote:

> Er.. that's a different car with different systems though? I retro
> fitted a Nav+ to my S4 and had to upgrade the battery at the same time
> or else kept going flat.

You are probably right then. Interesting....I wouldn't have thought
that a NAV would be such a power drain.

Bill T

Old March 26th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

In message >
Ed Chilada > wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:00:46 -0800, Bill T > wrote:
>I still can't figure out why having a NAV precludes xenon lights.
>
> I can only think of the battery/alternator requirements. Perhaps
> they're both heavy power drains so you can only have one or the other.

Errr... Xenon (HID) lights use less power than standard filament units.
Dip beam on standard lights is 55W, with HID it's 35W.