Replacent Dash Lights

Old June 28th 04, 09:43 PM
Catman

Zathras wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:51:41 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Zathras wrote:

> <Snip>
>>> In any case, my front fogs
>>> are totally useless - I once tried to light up a wall 10ft away in
>>> darkness with them - made no real difference. Maybe the Italians have
>>> an extra-special, cunning fog over there...
>>>

>>You should have tried to light up the ground......

> ..yes..the bit you can't see because it's below the bonnet/front
> screen line was probably dimly lit! I've never found any car's fogs
> better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
> mid-80s.

Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 28th 04, 10:28 PM
Pete

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:58:12 +0100, Zathras
>, wrote:

> I've never found any car's fogs
>better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
>mid-80s.

Yep! The best fog-lights are the one's on the back of the car in front :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old June 29th 04, 07:07 AM
Catman

Juhan Leemet wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:35:57 +0100, Zathras wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:33:24 GMT, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>> fog lights switch off when the ignition is turned off, and will not
>>>re-light unless deliberately turned on.

> Battery saving feature, I would guess?

No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on (dazzling
the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

>> ...my front fogs are totally useless - I once tried to light up a wall
>> 10ft away in darkness with them - made no real difference. Maybe the
>> Italians have an extra-special, cunning fog over there...

> I think fog lights come into their own in thick fog, when regular
> headlights make it seem like you're inside a milk bottle. They should let
> you see something (more than nothing... like moonlight?). Unfortunately,
> you do have to slow your speed, unless you're a bat, or have ESP.

I agree. They get used maybe once a year, but then they are useful

Old June 29th 04, 09:07 AM
Zathras

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:43:25 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:

<snip>
>> ..yes..the bit you can't see because it's below the bonnet/front
>> screen line was probably dimly lit! I've never found any car's fogs
>> better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
>> mid-80s.
>>

>Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK

...bet they're not the standard Giulietta fogs (if it had any)!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old June 29th 04, 09:10 AM
Zathras

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:07:41 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Juhan Leemet wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:35:57 +0100, Zathras wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:33:24 GMT, Catman
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>> Battery saving feature, I would guess?
>>

>No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on (dazzling
>the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

...nah! It's Italian electrical paranoia! Same as the ignition switch
without a key in kills almost everything so there's a special position
just so you can operate the side lights without the key in!!! ;-)

<Snip>

Old June 29th 04, 10:22 AM
Tom Boltwood

> From: Zathras >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:10:50 +0100
> Subject: Replacent Dash Lights
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:07:41 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Juhan Leemet wrote:

>>> Battery saving feature, I would guess?
>>>

>> No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on (dazzling
>> the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

> ..nah! It's Italian electrical paranoia! Same as the ignition switch
> without a key in kills almost everything so there's a special position
> just so you can operate the side lights without the key in!!! ;-)
>
> <Snip>

Always loved that feature of Italian cars. I interrupted my Italian car
stream with a BMW once and it was about a year of flat batteries before I
got used to turning the lights off!

Old June 29th 04, 12:44 PM
Catman

Zathras wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:07:41 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Juhan Leemet wrote:

>>> Battery saving feature, I would guess?
>>>

>>No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on
>>(dazzling the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

> ..nah! It's Italian electrical paranoia! Same as the ignition switch
> without a key in kills almost everything so there's a special position
> just so you can operate the side lights without the key in!!! ;-)

Nah, that's parking lights. My bike has the same.
Old June 29th 04, 12:45 PM
Catman

Zathras wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:43:25 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Zathras wrote:

> <snip>
>>> ..yes..the bit you can't see because it's below the bonnet/front
>>> screen line was probably dimly lit! I've never found any car's fogs
>>> better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
>>> mid-80s.
>>>

>>Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK

> ..bet they're not the standard Giulietta fogs (if it had any)!

Very true
Old June 29th 04, 03:53 PM
Zathras

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:44:51 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

<snip>
>Nah, that's parking lights. My bike has the same.

Nah!..it's just the side lights..honest! Not even a choice over having
one side or the other on - I'd never use them overnight unless the
battery was pretty new and I was doing some distance driving too!!

Old June 29th 04, 03:56 PM
Zathras

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:45:09 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:43:25 GMT, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Zathras wrote:

>> <snip>
>>>>
>>>Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK

>> ..bet they're not the standard Giulietta fogs (if it had any)!
>>

>Very true

Ah Ha! I knew it... <smug grin> Mind you, it's gratifying when you
beat the manufacturer.