Oxygen sensor problem

Old October 9th 04, 10:40 AM
Loki

Default Oxygen sensor problem

Hi! I read the fault codes from my A4 1,6 liter, and I got one fault code.
It says:

16515 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Signal too Low

P0131 - 35-00 - -

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

I checked the intake and the exhaust for leaks but it's all fine.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Old October 9th 04, 04:26 PM
dave AKA vwdoc1

check the wiring for the first Oxygen sensor and the sensor itself.
I think your vehicle has two, one before the cat. conv. and one after the
cat. conv.

good luck,
dave

Old October 9th 04, 10:14 PM
Loki

Hi Dave!
There is only one O2 sensor. I checked the wiring but I'm not sure how to
check the sensor... Is there a simple way to find out if the sensor is
working properly?
Thanks!

. com...

Old October 10th 04, 08:40 AM
Loki

Hi!
It's 1996. I hooked up vag-com to it but I don't have the correct label file
for my engine,
so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct measuring block. I shows a
value of around 0.5 V
and it fluctuaes... It drops to 0.0 then comes back to 0.5 and so on...
BTW I was also looking at another measuring block that is showing four
voltages.
These voltages are not the same, and they change as the RPM change,
but when I rev up the engine to about 4000 RPM they equilaze and stop at
5.100 V.
Do you know what this could be?

Thanks again for your time!

Cheers!

> what year is this A4?
> You should be able to hook up a vag-com tool (ross-tech.com) and easily

tell if
> the 02 sensor is working.
> Also some use a digital voltmeter/multimeter and check for voltage at the

02
> wiring plug with the plug still connected (backprobe). Voltage has to
> fluctuate. Bentley repair manuals might tell how to do this.
> Or searches on the web will give you sites like these:
> http://www.forparts.com/o-21.htm
> http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/O2-sensor-testing.shtml
>
> Your 02 sensor should be heated also, and that may cause other problems if
> somehow the wires are shorted/melted. :-(
>
> later,
> dave
> Reminder........
> Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That

way,

Old October 10th 04, 09:11 AM
Loki

Hi!
I forgot to mention one thing earlier...
When the engine is cold it idles at aprox. 1200 - 1300 RPM.
After about two minutes it drops to about 860 RPM.
Is this nomal or should it be idling at 860 right away?
Thanks!