are my body panels worth anything?

Old December 22nd 04, 08:01 PM

Default are my body panels worth anything?

i have a 93 escort with 180k. i am constantly tempted to put stickers
all over it, spray paint flames, glue things on, all manner of silly
things. but i wonder- say this car dies in 6 months, will a scrap yard
or similar pay me any money for it? are undinged panels worth anything?
should i preserve the investment, or is this car worth nothing no
matter how you slice it?

curious,
anthony

Old December 22nd 04, 08:16 PM
Bruce Chang

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>i have a 93 escort with 180k. i am constantly tempted to put stickers
> all over it, spray paint flames, glue things on, all manner of silly
> things. but i wonder- say this car dies in 6 months, will a scrap yard
> or similar pay me any money for it? are undinged panels worth anything?
> should i preserve the investment, or is this car worth nothing no
> matter how you slice it?
>
> curious,
> anthony

Assuming you have a 4 door Escort LX-E (the best escort there was in 93)
with automatic and it's in excellent condition, the thing is only worth
$1590. If it dies, KBB says for a "fair condition" that's even under the
assumption that it still runs, it's worth $955.

It's an escort.. No it's not worth anything. It's not an investment.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:37 PM

At my local U-pull-it place body panels (and bumpers) go for $40 + 5%
sales tax.

Perhaps you should head on over to a more reliable source of
information about Escorts http://www.feoa.net

Old December 22nd 04, 09:18 PM
Bruce Chang

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> At my local U-pull-it place body panels (and bumpers) go for $40 + 5%
> sales tax.
>
> Perhaps you should head on over to a more reliable source of
> information about Escorts http://www.feoa.net

The scrap yards don't buy the parts for that price.

Old December 22nd 04, 10:22 PM
William R. Watt

what you've got are '93 Mazda parts with a Ford sticker on the body.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old December 23rd 04, 03:34 AM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> You sound just like someone who's never sold a car to a wrecking

yard.
> They are bought by the ton, for the going scrap metal price.

exactly the sort of thing i needed to know.

thanks,
anthony

Old December 23rd 04, 05:23 PM

Probably the best worded answer so far...

Body Work by Bambi Jeepster Jeep 3 January 6th 05 11:02 AM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 16th 04 11:38 PM
New valve body part number for infamous transaxle problems at twice the cost John Hupp Saturn 3 December 8th 04 04:04 PM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM