95 Passat VR6 Tensioner Replace

Old July 21st 05, 06:54 AM
malabo

Default 95 Passat VR6 Tensioner Replace

When the engine is warmed up, between 2200 and 2800 rpm I get a bit of
chain rattle from the motor. Doesn't seem to do it cold. Should I
just change the tensioner bolt (with the oil pressure tensioning)
without bothering with the rail or should both be changed at the same
time.

Thanks

Old July 21st 05, 12:51 PM
Woodchuck

How many miles on engine?

oups.com...

Old July 21st 05, 03:57 PM
malabo

100,000 miles

Old July 22nd 05, 01:46 AM
Woodchuck

You can try, but more than likely you will need the chains and guides. A
fellow employee has a 99 with 140,000 and it's been like that since
100,000miles.

oups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 05:29 AM
Bill Shymanski

Change it now! Change the chain sprockets too, if a tensioner fails
you'll do
massive damage to the engine. Cost me $3000 to get on the road again
(CDN) and then within a year the transmission quit, too. I've *bought*
an entire new car for less than I've spent on fixing my '95 Passat.
Bill

oups.com...