That square thing in bumper

Old July 19th 05, 09:36 PM

Default That square thing in bumper

What is the purpose of that small (2-inch square) indent in the rear
bumpers of BMWs? It's the border that is indented (the interior of the
square being flush with the bumper surface)and it looks like it could
be punched out.

Old July 19th 05, 09:54 PM
joe_tide

There should be one in the front bumper too.

It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car if
it gets stuck.

oups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 09:54 PM
Branden Nelsen

You can pop that cover out and there is a "Screw" hole behind it. In the lid
of your truck you should have a Tow hook that looks like a "Eye-let" that
you can screw in there.

or in short.... its the tow point of your car.

-Branden

oups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 11:21 PM
Trey

"Branden Nelsen" > wrote in message
> You can pop that cover out and there is a "Screw" hole behind it. In the
> lid of your truck you should have a Tow hook that looks like a "Eye-let"
> that you can screw in there.
>
> or in short.... its the tow point of your car.

there is a similar set up on the side of the car for the jack isnt there?

Old July 19th 05, 11:35 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
joe_tide > wrote:
> There should be one in the front bumper too.

> It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car
> if it gets stuck.

Strange it's at the back?

I'd always thought it was for lashing the car down on ships, etc. Doesn't
look terribly substantial for towing with.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 20th 05, 01:41 AM
JRE

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>In article >,
> joe_tide > wrote:
>

>>There should be one in the front bumper too.
>>

>>It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car
>>if it gets stuck.
>>

>Strange it's at the back?

There's one at each end.

>I'd always thought it was for lashing the car down on ships, etc. Doesn't
>look terribly substantial for towing with.

The owner's manual specifically says it's for towing, with some limitations.

JRE
Old July 20th 05, 01:47 AM
joe_tide

Both ends Dave.

I don't think it's actually for towing. More like if you do something stupid
and end up somewhere where you can't get out. If someone has a winch, truck,
etc., they can latch on to that and yank you out of your prediciment. Gently
of course. ;-)

Old July 20th 05, 01:51 AM
Dean Dark

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:41:07 -0400, JRE > wrote:

>>>It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car
>>>if it gets stuck.

>The owner's manual specifically says it's for towing, with some limitations.

Limitations. Ha! Reminds me of about 10 years ago when a maniac
friend of mine had bought a true, jacked up, professionally done and
insanely powerful 'monster' truck from a distressed owner "just for
the hell of it." My ancient and far more modest Chevy C10 had been
snowed in up to the windows for several days, and all the snow had
pretty much turned to ice.

Lou attached chains to the rear of his monster and to the front axle
of my truck. He took the strain on the chains and then skillfully
gunned it. I came out of the packed ice like a cork out of a bottle.

No damage. Except for mild whiplash.
--
Dan.
Old July 20th 05, 02:01 AM
Jeff Strickland

There is a tool in the trunk that is used by the tow truck to pull the car
onto a flat-bed, or out of a snow bank. The tool screws into a hole that is
behind a cover that is about 2 inches square. Use a screwdriver (also in the
tool kit) to pop the cover off, and screw the loop into the newly exposed
hole.

oups.com...

Old July 20th 05, 02:02 AM
Jeff Strickland

It's not for towing, per se. It's used to hook the cable to to drag the car
onto a flat bed tow truck.

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> joe_tide > wrote:
>> There should be one in the front bumper too.

>> It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car
>> if it gets stuck.

> Strange it's at the back?
>
> I'd always thought it was for lashing the car down on ships, etc. Doesn't
> look terribly substantial for towing with.
>
> --
> *Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

urethane bumper cracked paint repair private Corvette 1 June 22nd 05 05:57 AM
'91' XJ: R&R rear bumper Bill L Jeep 3 June 15th 05 01:29 AM
B6 front bumper crash ratings? Dano58 Audi 0 June 6th 05 04:49 PM
Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Chrysler 8 January 15th 05 03:05 PM
Rear Bumper Replacement Options for a '77 Spider G. MacPherson Alfa Romeo 12 June 23rd 04 06:16 PM