Should I add oil to R134a?

Old July 19th 05, 05:47 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Bruce Chang wrote:

> I could have candy coated my response but the fact remains that A/C work
> is finicky

....and dangerous...

> For me, at least, gambling with A/C work is not worth it. It's a lot
> more time and money than it's worth if it doesn't work out.

....risk of injury, risk of property damage, risk of death...

> What's involved in checking the expansion valve?

If you have to ask...!
Old July 19th 05, 07:07 PM
Comboverfish

Steve B. wrote:
> I also don't understand how you can do a
> decent flush of the evap and lines with the expansion valve still in
> place. How do you manage to get enougt fluid to back feed through the
> expansion valve to flush it all out?

You can't be successful flushing 100% of the time, but experience will
tell you if the cleaning process was or was not a success before
recharging the system. Every system poses it's own challenges related
to which lines and components need to be removed to facilitate
flushing. Expansion valves can be cleaned in place if the evaporator
has large enough tubing, or for several hours of extra labor in the
case of most smallish import cars, it can be removed and cleaned or
replaced if too crapped-up. An example of simplicity would be Chrysler
H blocks -- really easy to get to!

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 20th 05, 05:00 AM

I am the OP. I spent many hours looking for the expansion valve. I
could not find it in the engine compartment. I assumed it had to be
inside the evaporator on the passenger side. Taking that apart is not
an easy job, so I sealed it up and hoped that the flushing would have
taken care of any blockage in the expansion vavle.

R-134A Jim General 10 July 31st 05 05:48 PM
R-134A Jim Technology 10 July 31st 05 05:48 PM
Maxi-Frig for R12/R134A ? Henry Kolesnik Technology 39 May 26th 05 06:31 AM
'89 Corolla running hot on highway (and other problems) [email protected] Technology 4 February 6th 05 08:53 PM
R134a service ports - thread? Philip Nasadowski Saturn 5 July 11th 04 05:43 PM