'85 C4 octane

Old July 14th 05, 02:24 AM
Brad

Default '85 C4 octane

The owners manual says to use gas of at least 87 octane.Previous owner said
he used "premium". What do other C4 owners use? Thanks.

--
Brad
"Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone. "

Old July 14th 05, 04:04 AM
CardsFan

"Brad" > wrote in message

> The owners manual says to use gas of at least 87 octane.Previous owner
> said he used "premium". What do other C4 owners use? Thanks.

At today's prices, if the manual says you may use 87, then use 87. If you
get pinging, take it in for a tune-up or do one yourself. Did this guy make
a bunch of engine mods?

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old July 14th 05, 12:56 PM
Brad

Nope, everything is stock. Do you use 87 in yours?

Old July 14th 05, 02:06 PM
CardsFan

"Brad" > wrote in message
> Nope, everything is stock. Do you use 87 in yours?

No. The LT-1 motor in the '93 does require premium. I generally use Amoco
Ultimate.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old July 14th 05, 03:36 PM
Dad

Says to use it but my '92 got along just fine with regular making 20,000
miles per year. The computer makes adjustments to match the gas in most
cases, YMMV. If your intent is to romp on it all the time stick with the
premium fuel.

--
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Old July 14th 05, 11:00 PM
Dale

I use 87 on the highway and 89 around town. Dad is right (as usual)
that the computer makes up for the octane. I found, however, that I
would get just a little ping at WOT from a dead stop so I moved up one
notch and that solved the problem. Most of my driving is at 45 and
above.

The cost of gas shouldn't really be an issue. An extra 10 cents a
gallon corresponds to $0.004/mile. So if you drive 10K/year it would
cost $40/year. Full premium would cost about twice that much around
here. Don't buy more than you need but "splurge" if there is any hint
of pinging.

On or about Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:56:48 GMT, "Brad"