How do you store your hard top?

Old April 2nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default How do you store your hard top?

Here is a link to a couple photos of how we store our top. Took it off
yesterday (yayyyyyyyy, snows gone). I get on one side, son gets on the
other and we just lift it off the Jeep and set it on this rack for storage.
They aren't that heavy, just awkward. I'll cover it with a tarp for the
summer. One photo shows the inside of the rack has a small block at the
back edge, this keeps the top resting on the mounting flange instead of the
bottom (fragile?) edge. Cost about $15 or $20 to make. All 2x3's and 1x3's.
Maybe use pressure treated where it sits on the ground. Hope this helps.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...y/0870d552.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...y/8baefeaf.jpg

Les

Old April 2nd 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wow!
I am surprised that you store it outside.
I guess it's something I just never consdered. Though just now thinking of
it, I could never do that.
We get too many high winds out here, it would turn into a kite in no time.

Thanks for the photos Les, looks like a good design

Kate

:
: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...y/0870d552.jpg
:
: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...y/8baefeaf.jpg
:
: Les
:
:
:
: > : >

Old April 2nd 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ahem......'scuse me???
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old April 2nd 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

WHAT???!!!!!

hey... what's THIS? .(look down here ?) I need to go look at this methinks.
"twaldron" > wrote

: Ahem......'scuse me???
: __________________________________________________ ___________________
:

Old April 2nd 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

For my TJ, I rigged a pulley/rack system to hoist the hardtop up in the
garage and store it out of the way. My garage ceiling is tall enough to park
the Jeep under it.

I saw the vertical rack storage in a catalog for the wifey's hardtop, but
couldn't justify the $$$ for some steel tubing and four wheels. So I made my
own rack with 2x4's and casters, probably $40 invested total. Seems to work
just fine.

Old April 2nd 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks Matt..
that's what we were kind of thinking. Hubs could fabricate something for me
without all the $$$.
I have some questions though.
Do you have any trouble with warpage?
How hard is it to wrestle the top onto the storage rack?
Glass up, or down?
Any photos?

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
. ..
: For my TJ, I rigged a pulley/rack system to hoist the hardtop up in the
: garage and store it out of the way. My garage ceiling is tall enough to
park
: the Jeep under it.
:
: I saw the vertical rack storage in a catalog for the wifey's hardtop, but
: couldn't justify the $$$ for some steel tubing and four wheels. So I made
my
: own rack with 2x4's and casters, probably $40 invested total. Seems to
work
: just fine.
:
: ...

Old April 2nd 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The TJ hardtop I can do myself. The rack I built uses perforated steel (like
what you'd use to mount a garage door opener) making two frames attached on
either side of the top. The top hoists between the steel frames, and I use
2x4's across the frames to support the top.

send me a good email addy and I will shoot you a pic, but the hard top
isn't up there now.

The vertical rack for Linda's TJL ins't here, it's in a storage facility.
Glass down on that one. It's kind of a pain to wrestle around with that top,
just because it's longer and heavier. When we got that Jeep (purchased used)
it didn't have a soft top, so we ordered one from a dealer on eBay. The
Unlimited hard top is such a bear I have a good mind to sell the damn thing
this spring when I switch tops.

No trouble with warpage, the hardtop is flexible enough that it will re-fit
once it is put back on.

Old April 2nd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks!
Here's my addy:
kate at selby.ws

[...]
: > . ..
: > : For my TJ, I rigged a pulley/rack system to hoist the hardtop up in
the
: > : garage and store it out of the way. My garage ceiling is tall enough
: > park
: > : the Jeep under it.
: > :
: > : I saw the vertical rack storage in a catalog for the wifey's hardtop,
: > but
: > : couldn't justify the $$$ for some steel tubing and four wheels. So I
: > made
: > my
: > : own rack with 2x4's and casters, probably $40 invested total. Seems to
: > work
: > : just fine.
: > :
: > : ...

Old April 2nd 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I guess you've gotta REALLY read what you wrote there...oh, never mind.

Old April 2nd 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You've got mail.

> [...]
> : > made
> : > my
> : > : own rack with 2x4's and casters, probably $40 invested total. Seems
> : > work
> : > : just fine.
> : > :
> : > : "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
> : > : ...
> : > : >I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual
> says
> : > : > store it flat on the floor.
> : > : >
> : > : > Is anyone using the vertical cart system?
> : > : > Any other suggestions?
> : > : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system
> for
> : > it,
> : > : > may just leave it up there like a pinata...

Hard brake pedal when cold [email protected] VW water cooled 1 June 23rd 05 11:45 PM
hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
90 FORD F150 PICKUP STARTS HARD, THEN DIES websthes Technology 1 December 26th 04 11:39 PM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM