E60 Tyre wear

Old October 12th 05, 08:27 PM

Default E60 Tyre wear

Just had to replace all 4 tyres on my 525 after 20,000 miles. It is
fitted with Dunlop Sport 18" runflats and it cost me =A3740 to replace
them - works out at 3.6p per mile!

The local dealer says this is normal (the inside of the front tyres
were bald) - geometry tests showed everthing in alignment.

I asked the dealer if I could replace the wheels with another size and
with less expensive tyres - they could not say! Anybody out there have
any ideas?

Old October 12th 05, 11:46 PM
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
oups.com...
Just had to replace all 4 tyres on my 525 after 20,000 miles. It is
fitted with Dunlop Sport 18" runflats and it cost me £740 to replace
them - works out at 3.6p per mile!

The local dealer says this is normal (the inside of the front tyres
were bald) - geometry tests showed everthing in alignment.

I asked the dealer if I could replace the wheels with another size and
with less expensive tyres - they could not say! Anybody out there have
any ideas?

20k on a tyre is not too bad. £740 for 4 is expensive.

On BMW's the rears tend to wear in the middle (even if inflated correctly)
and the fronts (especially the NHS (left) in the UK (roundabouts)) on the
outside edge. Wearing on the inside edge is indicative of incorrect
alignment.

On BMW's the rears tend to wear fastest, so when they get low in the middle
put them on the front where they will go fastest on the edges and put new
ones on the edge.

If the fronts wear very asymmetrically you can turn them one the rim (if
reversible) or turn them on the rim and swap sides (if not), but I would
look for a geometry fault first.

Old October 13th 05, 07:37 AM
Jack

Found this menu of wheels on the web.
http://www.e60.net/information/options/wheels/

oups.com...

Old October 22nd 05, 10:32 PM
as3

There was a defect in the Dunlop tires. They will wear out faster than
usual on the insides. This defect has been corrected on new Dunlop tires.
The BMW will replace the tires for free if it occurs under 20,000 miles,
but over that it is customer pay. You can expect your new tires will last
longer than that if properly inflated. I perfer 38 psi in the front and 41
psi in the rear.

Tyre wear Juper Wort VW air cooled 1 July 28th 05 05:09 PM
Tyre Wear - 156 2.0 Ts Veloce Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 13 December 24th 04 09:10 AM
Tyre Wear Richard Goulding Audi 15 December 20th 04 05:55 PM
Type 25 Battery and Tyre problems Caie VW air cooled 3 November 25th 04 01:24 AM
Tyre wear Eric Nadler BMW 1 September 18th 04 02:39 PM