97 limited steering chatter

Old June 11th 05, 07:45 AM
TIMCT

Default 97 limited steering chatter

I just purchased a 97 limited(120k) and one of my concerns is the chatter
when cornering,parking,etc- it sounds like I may need to replace the box.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, what you've done
about it etc.

Old June 17th 05, 08:59 PM
ross via CarKB.com

TIMCT wrote:
>I just purchased a 97 limited(120k) and one of my concerns is the chatter
>when cornering,parking,etc- it sounds like I may need to replace the box.
>I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, what you've done
>about it etc.

I have not had the chatter, but had my rack replaced under warranty for a
leak. Ford got 500.00 for a rebuilt rack. They are availalable in the
aftermarket rebuilt for less than 1/2 that. Saw that rockauto online has
them for some models.

May want to change out your old fluid and see if that helps. Changing P.S.
fluid is something almost everyone ignores, and at some point it gets old and
tired.

I got rid of a pulsation in my steering by using Mobil1 synthetic ATF. Change
your fluid, drive the vehicle for 10 minutes, and change it again. You can't
drain the old fluid in the rack or the line from the pump to the rack, so
there will be old fluid that mixes in with the new when you change it. The
second change is to make sure you get 75 to 80 % new fluid.

VW Brasilia Oilchange/Sloppy shifter Simon Putz VW air cooled 2 May 19th 05 02:52 PM
528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM