Bendix ABS-10

Old November 19th 04, 06:59 AM
mike gray

Matt Whiting wrote:

> Trouble is the optimum timing depends on more than just RPM. Yes, I
> know that there were also vacuum driven distributors to allow factoring
> in MP, but optimum timing depends on more than just RPM and MP. My
> point is that automatic controls, well designed, will beat a human every
> time. I don't if the automation is mechanical or electrical/electronic.
>
> In the case of spark timing, since it depends on several factors, only
> two of which I mentioned above, electronic control is the way to go.

If you program it yerself, yes.

>> You haven't done much racing. We race in the wet. Oil (and coolant) and
>> dirt/gravel is a constant hazard, and if you have both wheels on the
>> pavement, yer not taking the corner right. Race cars (other than
>> showroom stock, IT, and similar "street legal" classes) do not use ABS.
>> Not in pro racing, not in Sunday afternoon amateur racing.

> Probably because the rules don't allow them. They've been introduced
> and subsequently banned in manner classes of racing, Formula One being
> an example. They gave too much of an advantage to the teams using them
> and the driver's machismo got in the way as well.

F1 has never used ABS. Traction control, which is a different beast, has
been outlawed. ABS is allowed but not used in any other form of racing,
to my knowledge. WRC uses very sophisticated traction control, but the
handbrake overrides the TC. Most racers also use cockpit adjustable bias.

Driver's machismo? I've never seen a racer that would not jump at any
chance for the slightest edge. And none use ABS.

> I'm not saying ABS is a substitute for better driving skills. I'm
> saying that ABS can do things that a human simply can't do, such as
> modulate the braking at each wheel independently to cover situations
> where each wheel is seeing a different mu. No way you can do that with
> one brake pedal. And if I gave you four brake pedals, you couldn't do
> it fast enough to be effective.

It is a substitute for driving skills. ABS only works when the pedal is
full on. Control of the braking function is given over 100% to the ABS.
There are some things that a human can actually do better than
electronics, and braking is one of them.

Old November 19th 04, 11:33 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"maxpower" > wrote in message
> I agree Ted but this was a **** poor designed system from the start,

No argument there, I agree with that. My own van is Bendix 4 although I've
never felt or seen the ABS come on. (my wife drives it mostly) My only
beef
is that Chrysler never released specs for it so OTC wasn't able to support
Chrysler ABS in their scantool cartridges.

The Bendix 10 systems are very weird, must have been a junior engineer
with no experience that did that design.

Ted

Old November 19th 04, 11:33 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

Old November 19th 04, 07:51 PM
maxpower

Ted , when chrysler first introduced the bendix 10 system we had no specs,
no special tools or parts to repair them, we had to sell those units
complete for such a long time for a price of about 1500.00. it was
ridiculous. the only time i felt my ABS kick in was when i was letting my
wife and son drive the van, i wantd them to experience what it felt like
when they went inot an antilock brake situation. it is a very good system,

Old November 19th 04, 07:51 PM
maxpower