Malfunction Indicator Light

Old May 5th 05, 01:04 AM
Firebird

Default Malfunction Indicator Light

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, with 59,900 miles. This morning while
starting the car,
it was a little rough idling and I noticed the malfunction indicator light
stayed on.
I used my other car to get to work today. I checked the gas cap, it seems
tight.
What could this be?

Thanks

Old May 5th 05, 01:25 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat
three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off,
On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no
codes are present then "Done" will appear. Fault codes:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 01:29 AM
Firebird

I'm getting P0305...I'll look it up. Thanks

Old May 5th 05, 12:42 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Misfire Detected in Cylinder #5.

Old May 5th 05, 06:44 PM
Jeff Strickland

Your '01 is OBD II compliant, this means you can get a code reader and find
out for your self what made the MIL light come on.

You can buy OBD II Code Readers for anywhere from about $60 to about $175.
The cheaper units have limited capability, the more expensive units have
more features and abilities. My casual observation is that the units that
cost about $100 are the best value. These units offer the useful features
that the lesser costing units do not have, but they leave out features that
you probably won't use anyway.

Some auto parts stores will let you use a reader for free, the assumption is
that you will learn the Automatic Framis Sensor has failed, and the store
wants you to buy the AFS from them. They want you to buy the special wrench
to put it in, too.

Old May 5th 05, 06:45 PM
Jeff Strickland

If this engine is one where the cylinders all get their own coil, then I
suspect the coil on the #5 cylinder is going out.

news

Old May 5th 05, 08:52 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The OBD is an Acronym for: "On Board Diagnostics" meaning it can be
read without using a tool like: http://billhughes.com/faultCode.mpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 6th 05, 01:53 AM
Jeff Strickland

While that is true, the code reader translates the codes and is easier to
use. There is no requirement to hold your tongue just right to get something
to blink, and annotate the sequence of blinks correctly. And, the reader is
free to use in lots of places.

Horn malfunction private Saturn 7 February 16th 05 05:12 PM
"Check engine" (malfunction) light in 2000 Odyssey LX 2000OdysseyLX Honda 10 December 26th 04 11:10 PM
Windshield wiper malfunction Yoboslayer Dodge 20 December 5th 04 04:12 PM
1999 Civic EX Malfunction Indicator Lamp MIL -Question Matt Honda 12 November 26th 04 07:30 PM