access instrument cluster connector & speedo sensor troubleshooting

Old March 28th 05, 02:33 AM

Default access instrument cluster connector & speedo sensor troubleshooting

Here is some good directions to troubleshoot speed sensor... but how is
instrument cluster connector accessed?

A. Disconnect the speed sensor connector.

B. Connect a voltmeter between the black wire pin of the connector and
ground.

C. Turn ignition key to the RUN position.

D. If the voltage reading is not approximately 5 volts, turn ignition
key OFF, then check for continuity between the speed sensor connector
and terminal 13 of the instrument cluster connector.

E. If continuity exists, replace the speedometer. If no continuity
exists, repair the open circuit.

Old March 28th 05, 03:18 PM
Mike Romain

First off what are you trying to fix?

Second, no one here is a mind reader or knows you so we have no clue
what you are driving. (let alone lots of us do own more than one type
of Jeep)

And third if it is a YJ you are talking about, why don't you just pull
the codes and see what the computer 'thinks' is wrong?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 28th 05, 03:58 PM

First off what are you trying to fix?

[ Speedometer in this instance... but also stalling problem in neutral
After talking to someone you basically have three wires going to sensor
5V source input (black), Gnd, and 5V output to Speedometer / Odometer
gauge. If there is not 5V input then it is probably the wiring or
gauge, if there is 5V in , probably sensor, but If it is not the
sensor, I'm not sure how to access cluster connector]

Second, no one here is a mind reader or knows you so we have no clue
what you are driving. (let alone lots of us do own more than one type
of Jeep)
[ YJ, 1992 Wrangler 4.0L ]

And third if it is a YJ you are talking about, why don't you just pull
the codes and see what the computer 'thinks' is wrong?
[ No experience with reading code... I't sounds like a great
troubleshooting tool, do you need a reading device and where do you
access the port for connection ? Where do I buy one or do I have to
take it to a shop?]
Thanks

Old March 28th 05, 04:09 PM

I found on eof your posts ... I see they sell "OBD code readers" , I
can purchase one for about $30. Where do you access the cpu port with
the reader on a 92 wrangler?

Thanks

Old March 28th 05, 04:20 PM
Mike Romain

Well, stalling in neutral is because you have the speed sensor
disconnected.

If you reconnect it and it stops stalling, the sensor is likely working.

The sensor generates it's own pulses. Just spin it by hand with a meter
on it. 8 pulses per revolution off pin 1 and 2 likely.

'What' is the speedometer doing or not doing anyway?

To pull the codes, you need to hook everything back up and drive it for
a bit.

Then stop, rev it ti 2500 and let it down to idle and cycle everything
like the AC and if an automatic all the gears.

Then shut it down and turn the key on, off, on, off, on and count the
flashes on the dash light. It will flash a sequence, then pause, then
flash again. The final flash will be a 5 and a 5 or code 55 that means
no more codes.

If you get a code 15, the speed sensor or it's circuit is bad.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 28th 05, 05:40 PM

Mike Romain wrote:
> Well, stalling in neutral is because you have the speed sensor
> disconnected.

{ OR THE SENSOR IS NOT WORKING CONNECTED}
> The sensor generates it's own pulses. Just spin it by hand with a

meter
> on it. 8 pulses per revolution off pin 1 and 2 likely.

{GENERATES A MAGNETIC FIELD TO PRODUCE PULSES, BUT IT STILL NEEDS A 5
VOLT SOURCE FED BY THE CONNECTOR CABLE}

> 'What' is the speedometer doing or not doing anyway?
>
> To pull the codes, you need to hook everything back up and drive it

for
> a bit.
>
> Then stop, rev it ti 2500 and let it down to idle and cycle

everything
> like the AC and if an automatic all the gears.
>
> Then shut it down and turn the key on, off, on, off, on and count the
> flashes on the dash light. It will flash a sequence, then pause,

then
> flash again. The final flash will be a 5 and a 5 or code 55 that

means
> no more codes.
>
> If you get a code 15, the speed sensor or it's circuit is bad.

SAME DEAL BY DOING MANUALLY WITH A METER. TO BACK UP WHAT THE OBS IS
SHOWING, GO AHEAD AND CHECK TO SEE IF 5 VOLTS ARE PRESENT FROM THE
CABLE.
YES: SENSOR BAD OR GROUND WIRE NOT CONNECTED.
NO: 5V SHORTED OR BAD CONNECTION AT THE MULTICONNECTOR.

Old March 28th 05, 07:16 PM
Mike Romain

Right, now I remember that hall sensor has to be plugged in to test it
just switches the power to pulses. A hand turn should give the pulses
though, same as a distributor one.

If the ground tag is bad, that is likely a stud on the rear passenger
side of the block with a bunch of small black wires on it. The YJ has
one more ground tag on the e-brake frame, but that one usually kills the
fuel pump.

Mike