Procedure to replace inlet manifold o ring on 99 explorer 4.0l SOHC ?

Old November 29th 05, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Procedure to replace inlet manifold o ring on 99 explorer 4.0l SOHC ?

Reading through many posts I have come to the conclusion that this
gasket/o ring is bad in my wifes car. When it is cold the car revs up
when started and then dies to almost a stall, then revs back up then
back to just above a stall. I have cleaned the IAC and that does not
seem to make a difference....
Does anybody have a procedure and perhaps a part number for the gasket
replacement?
Thanks for any help
Gary

Old November 29th 05, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

This is not a small project for the budding DIYer. Check your local library
for a service manual or purchase one (usually a pretty good investment). If
you have a digital camera, take lots of pictures during the disassembly
process. Lay the bolts out neatly in the order you remove them and work
methodically rather than jumping from task to task.

oups.com...

Old November 29th 05, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Jim - I appreciate the answer, but I do have experience in engine
repair - albeit with 4 stroke motorcycles.
Has anybody recently done this repair and could they possibly post an
overview or things to look out for. Thanks
Gary

Old November 29th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

It really isn't that difficult of a procedure if you have a service manual.
The hardest part is reaching the back 2 torx style bolts that hold the upper
manifold to the lower manifold. There are 8 of these torx bolts that hold
the upper and lower intake manifold together, and there is a specific
sequence of tightening these bolts. The problem may not be the lower intake
manifold o-rings but a leak between the upper and lower intake manifold.
When I replaced my lower intake o-rings, the bolts holding the lower
manifold to the block were tight, probably torqued to spec, but I noticed
that some of the 8 torx bolts holding the upper manifold to the lower
manifold were loose when removing the upper manifold. I'd check torque of
these 8 bolts before replacing the lower o-rings since its a relatively an
easy task rather than spending 2 to 4 hours changing out the o-rings. Good
luck
Jay

ups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks Jay