Why not a cycle-free day?

Old March 6th 12, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
Mr Benn[_4_]

Default Why not a cycle-free day?

A letter in a Bristol newspaper:

I HAVE just read an opinion in this section relating to having a car-free
day in Bristol. I personally think a Cyclist free week would be far more
beneficial! All too often Bristol boasts how cycle friendly it is. Is this
really a good thing? Myself, and many colleagues and friends disagree
strongly.

Now before I go any further, I must point out that I am a part-time cyclist,
and when cycling I aim to stay out of the way of proper road users by
sticking to cycle paths and lanes wherever possible. I wish this was the
case with all cyclists.

I commute by car daily from outside Bristol to Temple Meads station. I would
catch the train, but lovely First Great Western do not run a train early
enough, but that's a whole other issue! Everyday I experience horrendous
behaviour from cyclists. Considering they are vulnerable, they often risk
their lives jumping red lights, undertaking at junctions, hopping on and off
of pavements at their convenience and generally getting in the way of the
legitimate road user. I realise not all cyclists behave like this, just the
vast majority, especially the Lycra ones who think they are as wide as cars!
I also appreciate not all us car drivers are saints as the odd couple let us
down.

I lay part of the blame with Bristol City Council for trying too hard to
please cyclists and look trendy. All these advanced starting grids at
traffic lights is the dumbest idea yet. Encouraging the roads slowest users
to blatantly sit right in the way of the cars before the lights change, then
get in the way of our desire to get somewhere quick. That is, when the
cyclist obeys the lights!!! Another gripe is the fact that despite all the
cycle lanes on pavements, cyclists still use our road. Coronation Road is a
prime example. A few months back I was following a lorry along there, who
was struggling to get past a dad and two young boys cycling along the road.
The lorry eventually passed, narrowly missing the boys. I tried to tell the
father this fact, but was met with typical cyclist arrogance. It should be
law to stick to a cycle lane where provided, to protect the cyclist, and
more importantly, improve the car drivers progress. I feel there needs to be
more legislation to protect the proper road user from the menace cyclist. To
start with, cyclists should have insurance. Can you imagine the damage they
could do to a cars paintwork if they were to get in the way? Bodywork repair
costs a lot these days. I find it harder by the day to avoid cyclists who
flout the highway code. They should also be made to pay a small tax, and
have a registration plate of some description. This would help to hold them
accountable for the accidents they cause. The tax could pay for cycle
wardens to fine them every time they break the law.

I would also like to add, cyclists are also a menace on the pavement. I'm
sure many readers would agree. Trying to walk near Temple Meads station is a
gamble. If you think I am anti-cyclist you would be right. Years of trying
to avoid their antics have made me this way. I am all for saving the
environment, but please do it in a lawful, polite manner, and stay off the
road where possible. Do not undertake where its dangerous, obey road signs
and traffic lights and respect the car driver who funds the cycle lanes you
fail to use!!! Do all this and we can all be friends!

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/cycle...ail/story.html

Old March 6th 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
Simon Mason[_3_]

Default Traffic banned from entrance to Deansgate as part of new pedestrianzone outside Manchester Cathedral

A good move or not?

QUOTE:
The controversial traffic ban on a stretch of Deansgate was today
facing its first rush-hour test.

A 300-yard section of the busy city centre road outside Manchester
Cathedral has been turned into a pedestrian-only zone.

The scheme began yesterday – with the big test coming as commuters
return to work after the weekend.

The Victoria Street section of Deansgate outside Chetham's School – a
key gateway into the city centre – is used by thousands of drivers
every day.

Cars, taxis, and buses will snake through Salford to join Deansgate
outside Harvey Nichols department store.

Motorists will have to travel along Chapel Street and Victoria Bridge
Street before rejoining Deansgate. Victoria Bridge Street will also
become two-way.

The scheme was given a cautious welcome as it began yesterday – but
some shoppers called on the council to re-think its plans in the event
of traffic chaos.

Businesses in the area also backed the closure.

Mark Dent, from Hanging Ditch Wine Merchants in Victoria Street, said
he hoped the plan would breathe new life into the area.

He said: “I think the whole thing is brilliant. It is going to bring a
whole new slant to Manchester. This whole area is going to be
regenerated and for the general public, it is going to be brilliant.

“It is going to be a new space for everyone. All cities should be
heavily pedestrianised.

“I am a great believer in public transport in cities. It is going to
bring us into the 21st century and it is going to give this area a
whole new lease of life, a slightly continental feel.

“The Spinningfields development has transformed that area and we
expect similar change here. Nobody takes to change immediately but we
have to change with the times.”

Driver Rachel Vose, 32, from Prestwich, said: “I travel into
Manchester during the week and at weekends and the traffic is pretty
bad at the best of times, especially during the evening rush-hour, so
it will be interesting to see how this all works.

“I hope that the council will look at how it is working and if there
are problems, which I am sure there will be, they should consider
changing it back.”

The Deansgate closure plan was first considered by town hall bosses
two years ago in a redevelopment masterplan which also proposed that
St Peter's Square should be traffic-free.

It is hoped that drivers will be encouraged to use the inner ring road
surrounding the city centre.

Shopper Dawn Wrigley said drivers would find routes around the area
and cause rat-runs.

Mrs Wrigley, 46, from Beswick, said: “I can only think that it will
clog up other parts of the city and people could end up avoiding
entering Manchester that way.

“Using the area up to the top of the city near Piccadilly and walking
down to the shops is what I will be doing.”

Council engineers will monitor traffic for six months as part of a
trial before considering whether to permanently close the stretch.

Bollards will be introduced and access to Manchester Cathedral will
only be allowed on specific occasions.

New pedestrian zone outside Manchester Cathedral will see traffic
banned from entrance to Deansgate

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...ster-cathedral

--
Simon Mason
Old March 6th 12, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
Bertie Wooster

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:13:08 -0000, "Mr Benn"
> wrote:

>I HAVE just read an opinion in this section relating to having a car-free
>day in Bristol. I personally think a Cyclist free week would be far more
>beneficial!

Lol! Can you imagine the traffic chaos in London if every cyclist took
their car to work every day for a week!?

What a great idea - a bicycle free week - to show motorists what a
favour we are doing them by taking our cars off the road.
Old March 6th 12, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
Judith

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 07:44:19 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason >
wrote:

>A good move or not?
>
>QUOTE:
>The controversial traffic ban on a stretch of Deansgate was today
>facing its first rush-hour test.

ffs -Is there anything you can get right:

A controversial traffic ban, which was due to pedestrianise one of Manchester
city centre's busiest stretches of road, has been suspended at the 11th hour. A
300-yard section of Deansgate, outside Manchester Cathedral, was set to face
its first rush hour test today, after apparently being closed to vehicles on
Sunday. But the closure has now been postponed and the road will now remain
open to vehicles until further notice. The Victoria Street section of
Deansgate, outside Chetham's School of Music, is a key gateway to the city
centre, used by thousands of drivers everyday.

Old March 6th 12, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
Mrcheerful

"Bertie Wooster" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:13:08 -0000, "Mr Benn"
> > wrote:
>
>>I HAVE just read an opinion in this section relating to having a car-free
>>day in Bristol. I personally think a Cyclist free week would be far more
>>beneficial!

> Lol! Can you imagine the traffic chaos in London if every cyclist took
> their car to work every day for a week!?
>
> What a great idea - a bicycle free week - to show motorists what a
> favour we are doing them by taking our cars off the road.

why wouldn't most of them use the public transport systems?

Old March 6th 12, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
JNugent[_3_]

On 06/03/2012 18:05, Bertie Wooster wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:13:08 -0000, "Mr Benn"
> > wrote:

>> I HAVE just read an opinion in this section relating to having a car-free
>> day in Bristol. I personally think a Cyclist free week would be far more
>> beneficial!

> Lol! Can you imagine the traffic chaos in London if every cyclist took
> their car to work every day for a week!?

Does every cyclist in London *have* a car?

Many of them look as though they haven't got the use of a bathroom, let alone
a car.

> What a great idea - a bicycle free week - to show motorists what a
> favour we are doing them by taking our cars off the road.

For certain values of "our cars".

Old March 6th 12, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
JNugent[_3_]

On 06/03/2012 18:34, Mrcheerful wrote:
> "Bertie > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:13:08 -0000, "Mr Benn"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I HAVE just read an opinion in this section relating to having a car-free
>>> day in Bristol. I personally think a Cyclist free week would be far more
>>> beneficial!

>> Lol! Can you imagine the traffic chaos in London if every cyclist took
>> their car to work every day for a week!?
>>
>> What a great idea - a bicycle free week - to show motorists what a
>> favour we are doing them by taking our cars off the road.
>>

> why wouldn't most of them use the public transport systems?

After all, it's not as thrugh they all have access to cars anyway, or that
the few who do would be able to park in Central or Inner London.
Old March 6th 12, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
Mr. Benn[_6_]

"JNugent" wrote in message ...

On 06/03/2012 18:34, Mrcheerful wrote:
> "Bertie > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:13:08 -0000, "Mr Benn"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I HAVE just read an opinion in this section relating to having a
>>> car-free
>>> day in Bristol. I personally think a Cyclist free week would be far more
>>> beneficial!

>> Lol! Can you imagine the traffic chaos in London if every cyclist took
>> their car to work every day for a week!?
>>
>> What a great idea - a bicycle free week - to show motorists what a
>> favour we are doing them by taking our cars off the road.
>>

> why wouldn't most of them use the public transport systems?

After all, it's not as thrugh they all have access to cars anyway, or that
the few who do would be able to park in Central or Inner London.

I can't work out why Tom complains about not being able to cycle through the
Blackwall tunnel when London has one of the best integrated transport
systems in the country. Maybe he's too tight to pay for an Oyster card.

Old March 6th 12, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
JNugent[_3_]

On 06/03/2012 19:13, Mr. Benn wrote:
> "JNugent" wrote in message ...
>
> On 06/03/2012 18:34, Mrcheerful wrote:
>> "Bertie > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:13:08 -0000, "Mr Benn"

>>> Lol! Can you imagine the traffic chaos in London if every cyclist took
>>> their car to work every day for a week!?
>>>
>>> What a great idea - a bicycle free week - to show motorists what a
>>> favour we are doing them by taking our cars off the road.
>>>

>> why wouldn't most of them use the public transport systems?

> After all, it's not as thrugh they all have access to cars anyway, or that
> the few who do would be able to park in Central or Inner London.
> ================================================== =====
>
> I can't work out why Tom complains about not being able to cycle through the
> Blackwall tunnel when London has one of the best integrated transport systems
> in the country. Maybe he's too tight to pay for an Oyster card.

If I lived in London (God forbid), I would have an Oyster card.

Some say I should have one anyway, because it would make my occasional trip
into London (on business) cheaper. But it would be of no advantage to me.

Old March 6th 12, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,rec.autos.misc
Bertie Wooster

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 19:13:05 -0000, "Mr. Benn" > wrote:

>"JNugent" wrote in message ...
>
>On 06/03/2012 18:34, Mrcheerful wrote:
>> "Bertie > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:13:08 -0000, "Mr Benn"

>>> Lol! Can you imagine the traffic chaos in London if every cyclist took
>>> their car to work every day for a week!?
>>>
>>> What a great idea - a bicycle free week - to show motorists what a
>>> favour we are doing them by taking our cars off the road.
>>>

>> why wouldn't most of them use the public transport systems?

>After all, it's not as thrugh they all have access to cars anyway, or that
>the few who do would be able to park in Central or Inner London.
>
>I can't work out why Tom complains about not being able to cycle through the
>Blackwall tunnel when London has one of the best integrated transport
>systems in the country. Maybe he's too tight to pay for an Oyster card.

My complaint is not that I can't cycle through the Blackwall Tunnel so
much as the proposed alternative for cyclists and pedestrians will be
charged.

I have an Oyster Card which in currently in credit by over £35.