EGR Solenoid Valve

Old April 1st 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Geary Morton

Default EGR Solenoid Valve

After much investigating, testing hoses, wiring, etc., I have concluded
that the P0106 (barometric) error code on my '99 must be due to a
defective EGR boost solenoid valve that sits atop the passenger side
front fender well. The two electrical terminals on the valve test open
on my ohmmeter.

I called the dealer, and they get around $100 with tax for that little
puppy. Anyone out there know of a more reasonable deal? Nothing on
ebay that I could find.

BTW - this in no way affected the drivability of my car. I'm only
fixing it so it will pass inspection.

Googling that error code tends to lead you to something called an MAP
sensor, but the factory service manual says it's either the EGR boost
solenoid valve or the adjacent EGR boost sensor. I couldn't find
anything in that manual about an MAP sensor (maybe it's the same).

-Geary
Old April 2nd 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Geary Morton > wrote:

> I called the dealer, and they get around $100 with tax for that
> little puppy. Anyone out there know of a more reasonable deal?
> Nothing on ebay that I could find.

See if a wrecking yard in your area has one.

http://www.usedwreckingyards.com/sp.htm

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old April 4th 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Geary Morton

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> Geary Morton > wrote:
>
> > I called the dealer, and they get around $100 with tax for that
> > little puppy. Anyone out there know of a more reasonable deal?
> > Nothing on ebay that I could find.

> See if a wrecking yard in your area has one.
>
> http://www.usedwreckingyards.com/sp.htm

I found another dealer that let me have one for $80. Amazing that
there's that much difference in price between dealers. Anyway, it fixed
the problem. No more P0106 engine code (for the moment), and it easily
passed inspection. BTW - North Carolina has recently gone to an
inspection system where you no longer have to have a windshield sticker.
Inspection results are fed into DMV's computer and you can't get your
license plate renewed unless the computer shows your inspection is up to
date. It's kinda nice having your entire windshield available for
looking through. What a concept!

-Geary
Old April 4th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Geary Morton > wrote:

> I found another dealer that let me have one for $80. Amazing that
> there's that much difference in price between dealers.

I've run into similar price differences. Dealers can set their own
prices so, although most will be pretty much the same there's a few
who will be high or low. The trick is to find the low ones! ;-)

> BTW - North Carolina has recently gone to an inspection system
> where you no longer have to have a windshield sticker. Inspection
> results are fed into DMV's computer and you can't get your license
> plate renewed unless the computer shows your inspection is up to
> date.

Arizona has alwasy done that, it's nice not to have a sticker because I
really don't much like them, they detract from the looks of the car in
my opinion.