GM 12 bolt axle bearings question

Old May 3rd 05, 10:43 PM

Default GM 12 bolt axle bearings question

Hi all.

Vehicle is a 1975 Chevy 3/4 ton truck with a regular 12-bolt rear axle.
It's making a grinding noise that's dependent on wheel speed, so I
imagine it's one or more of the bearings that hold up the axleshafts
and/or differential. (Jacked up rear of truck, left trans in park,
spun wheels so the diff turned them in opposite directions with no
driveshaft movement.)

On the outer axle bearings I've read that the bearings ride directly on
the axleshaft, and once they start making noise it's pretty much time
to scrap the shaft. Is this true?

Can anyone recommend an axle supplier if this is the case? If I end up
in the boneyard looking for axles what is considered a good diameter
for the bearing race?

Old May 4th 05, 03:28 AM
sdlomi2

"*" > wrote in message

> If it's a regular passenger car 12-bolt, there is a "repair bearing"
> available at stores such as NAPA that moves the bearing surface away from
> the damaged portion of the axle.

...and I've used several of them, successfully. s