89 Jetta GLi, handling wrinkle (lateral motion)

Old December 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
Theo

Default 89 Jetta GLi, handling wrinkle (lateral motion)

Dear all,

I have an 89 Jetta GLi, and the tie rods, front strut inserts, and strut
bearings are new, and I can't see any play when I raise the front of the
vehicle and twist a wheel - the steering wheel and other wheel seem to twist
at the same time. The car doesn't wander on the highway, and there's no
noteworthy dead spot on-center in the steering.

Around town sometimes when I make a fairly tight (or even sweeping) turn, I
get a second or so of lateral sway (which is redundant, I guess) - the
vehicle sways side-to-side for a cycle or two, about 1-2 Hz.

Any ideas what to look for, or ask the mechanic what to look for? Control
arm bushings? Tie rod ends? Steering rack play? Rear shocks?

I'm okay with the typical A2 body roll, but this sway mode is irksome.

Thanks
Theo

Old December 3rd 04, 09:19 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Theo > wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I have an 89 Jetta GLi, and the tie rods, front strut inserts, and strut
>bearings are new, and I can't see any play when I raise the front of the
>vehicle and twist a wheel - the steering wheel and other wheel seem to twist
>at the same time. The car doesn't wander on the highway, and there's no
>noteworthy dead spot on-center in the steering.
>
>Around town sometimes when I make a fairly tight (or even sweeping) turn, I
>get a second or so of lateral sway (which is redundant, I guess) - the
>vehicle sways side-to-side for a cycle or two, about 1-2 Hz.
>
>Any ideas what to look for, or ask the mechanic what to look for? Control
>arm bushings? Tie rod ends? Steering rack play? Rear shocks?
>
>I'm okay with the typical A2 body roll, but this sway mode is irksome.

I would check your tire pressure. That can make a night and day difference.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old December 3rd 04, 09:19 PM
Peter Parker