optima battery

Old February 21st 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Art[_6_]

Default optima battery

any opinions on durability of these
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html

Old February 21st 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Art > wrote:
>any opinions on durability of these
>http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html

I have never used the automobile ones, but I have used the marine deep cycle
ones and they do last longer under rough conditions than conventional
batteries.

On the other hand, for what they cost, I think you're still paying less
per month of use by purchasing an oversized conventional battery.
--scott
Old February 21st 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Art wrote:
> any opinions on durability of these
> http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html

They last 'pretty' good, but still up and die like regular batteries if
used off road. One of mine lasted until it's 'very' short warranty was
'just' up, then a cell died and I was out a battery. The other that I
don't use off road has lasted about 7 years on an occasional driver so far.

For off road I am going to stick to the chain store batteries with their
5 year warranty so at least when a cell goes bad from vibration I can
just go to the nearest chain store and replace it 'free'.

I got suckered into their hype as an indestructible battery. As usual
the hype was pure bull****.

Just my $0.02,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 21st 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Any manufacturer will say their product(s) are the best.I have read
about Optima batteries before at their website and other websites.I am
not knocking them though.About three years ago,I bought one of Sears
lowest priced batteries (about $29.00) for my 1978 Dodge van.So far,it
is still working real good.
cuhulin

Old February 21st 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Art wrote:

> any opinions on durability of these
> http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html

I like them. They seem to outlast conventional batteries by about 2-3
years, and since they don't outgas at all they don't cause nearly as
much incidental corrosion (none, in fact). They also don't
self-discharge so I can start my stored cars after sitting 6 months
without pre-charging the battery.

They are overpriced, though. Not a winner if battery LIFE is all that
you measure by.

Old February 21st 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Steve wrote:
> Art wrote:
>
>> any opinions on durability of these
>> http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html
>>

> I like them. They seem to outlast conventional batteries by about 2-3
> years, and since they don't outgas at all they don't cause nearly as
> much incidental corrosion (none, in fact). They also don't
> self-discharge so I can start my stored cars after sitting 6 months
> without pre-charging the battery.
>
> They are overpriced, though. Not a winner if battery LIFE is all that
> you measure by.

Just FYI, they do still out gas according to Optima so you still have to
watch for sparks when boosting...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 21st 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John 'Shaggy' Kolesar

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:42:54 -0500, > wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> Art wrote:
>>
>>> any opinions on durability of these
>>> http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html
>>>

>> I like them. They seem to outlast conventional batteries by about 2-3
>> years, and since they don't outgas at all they don't cause nearly as
>> much incidental corrosion (none, in fact). They also don't
>> self-discharge so I can start my stored cars after sitting 6 months
>> without pre-charging the battery.
>>
>> They are overpriced, though. Not a winner if battery LIFE is all that
>> you measure by.
>>

> Just FYI, they do still out gas according to Optima so you still have to
> watch for sparks when boosting...

I've heard mine out gas (hiss) a little bit when charging it before, although
it doesn't seem to do it nearly as much as the conventional battery I had
before. Of course, that's not really a scientific observation.

John.
Old February 22nd 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Mike Romain wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> Art wrote:
>>
>>> any opinions on durability of these
>>> http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html
>>>

>> I like them. They seem to outlast conventional batteries by about 2-3
>> years, and since they don't outgas at all they don't cause nearly as
>> much incidental corrosion (none, in fact). They also don't
>> self-discharge so I can start my stored cars after sitting 6 months
>> without pre-charging the battery.
>>
>> They are overpriced, though. Not a winner if battery LIFE is all that
>> you measure by.
>>

> Just FYI, they do still out gas according to Optima so you still have to
> watch for sparks when boosting...

They CAN out-gas under abnormal conditions, so Optima has to put that
warning on them. But they shouldn't under normal condition. If they do,
it means that the internal safety seal has popped (usually due to
overcharging), and the battery will be dead before long. There are
porous plugs int the top of the battery that keep dirt and crud out even
if the internal seal pops open. Under normal operation, they remain
completely closed to gasses.

Optima battery in a 72 Super Barnhart Pinball[_1_] VW air cooled 2 December 1st 06 04:28 PM
Corvette battery and optima replacement yar Corvette 5 February 22nd 06 09:56 AM
Optima Battery paul Jeep 17 January 23rd 06 04:00 AM
Anyone Ever Put An Optima In A 5.0? Patrick Ford Mustang 3 December 4th 04 04:39 AM
Optima Yellowtop battery Garth Almgren Ford Mustang 4 November 14th 04 03:05 AM