Honda Accord Hybrid: Extd. Warrantee/Paint & fabric protection

Old January 8th 05, 11:05 PM

Default Honda Accord Hybrid: Extd. Warrantee/Paint & fabric protection

Hello!

Thank you to all who responded to my previous post months ago...your
Hybrid soon. I would like to get your perspective on whether or not to
pay for 1) the Extended Warrantee (7 years/100,000 miles) and 2)
Paint/Fabric protection ("Finishing Touch") for the Accord Hybrid.

I've been told that the extended warrantee runs about $1900 and the
paint/fabric protection runs $695. I looked at the overview of what is
covered in the Extended Warrantee. It says that the following are
covered, but also says the actual contract coverages can vary-- that
this is just an overview: 1) Drivetrain (Engine, transmission, fuel
injection system, and axles) 2) Electronics (Computers, electronic
components, electrical system) 3) Chassis (Suspension, steering, and
brake system) 4) Heating /Cooling (Air conditioning, heating system,
cooling system) 5) Genuine Honda Accessories (Audio, cellular phone,
navigational and security systems).

It says about what is excluded: "Exclusions include but are not limited
to body parts, tires, maintenance items, glass, upholstery, trim,
carpeting, and ornamentation".

I realize that these financial decisions are individual and people vary
on them. But given your experience, and given that the Accord Hybrid is
brand new, what factors would you suggest I consider in making these
decisions? Would you be inclined to get the extended warrantee and
fabric/paint protection? Any imput would be appreciated!
sincerely,
Craig

Old January 10th 05, 03:51 AM
Pars

$1900 seems expensive for an extended warranty coverage. I paid $695
(Canadian) for 6 years/100,000 miles coverage on my 98' Civic. Honda's
Hybrid system should be as reliable as their engines. If not, 'Their taking
one step forward and two steps backwards'. Obtaining a reputation of above
average reliability is not easy to achieve in today's highly competitive
market. Granted, the Hybrid system on the Insight seems to be holding up
well (As per Insight forum on edmunds.com).

In 3 situations in the past, I've purchased extended warranty and never had
the opportunity to use it (which is a good thing), but the $$$ I could have
saved...

Pars

oups.com...

Old January 13th 05, 03:01 AM

Dear Pars:

You make some very good points...thanks much!

warmly,
Craig

Old January 13th 05, 05:06 AM

> > wrote in message
>> I've been told that the extended warrantee runs about $1900 and the
>> paint/fabric protection runs $695. I looked at the overview of what is
>> covered in the Extended Warrantee. It says that the following are

If you buy a Honda Civic Hybrid that is AT-PZEV emissions rated, many of
the components are covered for 10/150,000. My Escape Hybrid includes the
CVT transmission as one of the "Hybrid Unique" components that are covered
for 150,000 miles. There was pretty much no need for an extended warranty.

On the other hand, I think the HondaCare warranty is refunded if you don't
use it, so that makes it a little more attractive. I bought it with my
Civic. I used the "Costco" purchase price, which was a big chunk of bucks
off the list price for the warranty. Worth a $40 Costco membership.

I also bought the $500 Diamond Plate, or whatever that was called, but the
dealer does a free detailing and reapplication once a year.

--
---