HELP with Explorer tranny...PLEASE!!!

Old November 30th 05, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default HELP with Explorer tranny...PLEASE!!!

Hi. I'm looking for some insight into a tranny problem I am having. I
have a 1995 Explorer XLT 4WD Automatic V6. Had tranny "rebuilt" a
couple of
weeks ago after slipping in several gears and O/D Off light flashing.
On the
drive home from shop, car is running great for 20 minutes or so, then
O/D Off light starts flashing, first gear turns to mush, and I get two
noticeable "thunks" during downshift, one at about 15 mph, then again
at 10mph. At home, using my hand held code reader, I get fault code 645

"Incorrect gear ratio-first gear". I reset EEC by disconnecting battery

and the car ran perfect for maybe 10-15 minutes, then the same symptoms

reappear.

If I put the tranny in the "1" or "2"
position, rather than the "D" position, first gear comes back, and the
two "thunks" disappear. The O/D Off light continues to blink, however.
Weird!?

I do not know how much, if any, of the electronics was
replaced or repaired by the "mechanic", so I'm thinking that the
"repair" was incomplete, and I have lingering electronic issues that
are manifesting as mechanic problems. There are tons of posts related
to this, and I have read many, and will continue to read more. I have
heard mention of solenoids getting stuck, but don't know if this
applies to my situation. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

- Paul

Old December 1st 05, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Paul wrote:
> Hi. I'm looking for some insight into a tranny problem I am having. I
> have a 1995 Explorer XLT 4WD Automatic V6. Had tranny "rebuilt" a
> couple of
> weeks ago after slipping in several gears and O/D Off light flashing.
> On the
> drive home from shop, car is running great for 20 minutes or so, then
> O/D Off light starts flashing, first gear turns to mush, and I get two
> noticeable "thunks" during downshift, one at about 15 mph, then again
> at 10mph. At home, using my hand held code reader, I get fault code 645
>
> "Incorrect gear ratio-first gear". I reset EEC by disconnecting battery
>
> and the car ran perfect for maybe 10-15 minutes, then the same symptoms
>
> reappear.
>
> If I put the tranny in the "1" or "2"
> position, rather than the "D" position, first gear comes back, and the
> two "thunks" disappear. The O/D Off light continues to blink, however.
> Weird!?
>
> I do not know how much, if any, of the electronics was
> replaced or repaired by the "mechanic", so I'm thinking that the
> "repair" was incomplete, and I have lingering electronic issues that
> are manifesting as mechanic problems. There are tons of posts related
> to this, and I have read many, and will continue to read more. I have
> heard mention of solenoids getting stuck, but don't know if this
> applies to my situation. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
>
> - Paul

If it was mine, I'd start by taking it back to the shop that did the
repair. There should be SOME sort of warranty on their work. Hold'em
to it.

Mark

Old December 1st 05, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thx Mark. Yeah, I know. The problem is that this guy is too old school,
and (from what I've been told since the repair) lacks the knowledge or
experience to fix advanced electronic transmissions. He should not have
taken this job. If I were to guess, I'd say he probably changed the
worn mechanical parts, but did not replace any or all electronic
components. Again, just a guess, and an unqualified one at that. I have
a one year warranty, but I fear I'll end up taking this back every week
only to have the same unsatisfactory outcome. Then I'll find myself in
Civil Court trying to get my money back. He charged me only $1150, when
Lee Myles wanted double that. Lesson learned he Pay half price, get
a half @$$ job. Anyway, I figure if I can get insight from others as to
what the real problem might be, maybe I can give this guy enough info
that even he can fix it.

Old December 1st 05, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

First off I have no tranny experience, but if the clutches and bands
are good to go I would look at the solenoids in the valve body. If you
can find the Ford factory workshop manuals (I found a set for mine on
eBay last summer for about $40) you will find step by step
troubleshooting and testing on the electrical aspects.

HTH