Where to keep vehicle registration in a VW Golf?

Old May 26th 05, 05:23 AM

"Pete C." > wrote:

>One of the few time I've been pulled over the registration and insurance
>card were sitting in the glove compartment right next to my gun. License
>and carry permit were in my wallet. All you have to do is think and get
>the registration and insurance card out while the cop is still at their
>car. When they get to your car you already have the paperwork in hand.
>You've typically got at least a good 60 seconds before they come over
>while they get their paperwork in order and run your plate.

The problem with digging around in the glove compartment
before the officer comes to your window is that that action can look
suspicious. How does he know you aren't reaching for a gun? Same
with reaching into your back pocket to get your wallet.
The advice I use (from a former state trooper) is to keep your
hands on the wheel, in plain sight. When the officer comes to your
window and asks for your license and registration, tell him it is in
the glove compartment or back pocket and ask permission to retrieve
it. This keeps the officer in his comfort zone. If your gun is in
the glove compartment as well, tell him in advance so he's not
surprised.

Old May 26th 05, 05:55 AM
y_p_w

Rich Wales wrote:

> Where should you keep the registration form in an '04 Golf?

Glove compartment. And don't reach for it unless asked. Cops
are really freaked out these days.

> In my previous cars, I used to keep the registration behind a
> clip-on mirror on the sun visor. But there doesn't seem to be
> room to do this on my Golf, because the built-in mirror with
> the sliding cover takes up so much room in the visor.
>
> I'm currently keeping the registration in the side pocket of
> the owner's manual, but I'm concerned that in the (hopefully
> unlikely!) event that I were ever pulled over and asked to show
> "license and registration", the police officer might freak out
> if I were to go for the glove compartment (which might, for all
> he/she knows, contain a gun).
>
> Any thoughts (other than "don't ever drive in a way that would
> ever make a police office think of wanting to pull you over")?

At least in California, a photocopy of the registration is
acceptable. Perhaps keep multiple copies, including one in
your wallet as D. Stern suggested.
Old May 26th 05, 02:46 PM
Hugo Schmeisser

Papa wrote:

> I thought everybody kept the registration in the glove box. There was
> a time in the U.S., about 50 or 60 years ago, when they were inserted
> into a clear sleeve and strapped to the steering column. In those
> days, a steering column was completely visible all the way to the
> firewall, and not buried inside other components.

And 50 or 60 years ago hoods were openable from the outside, too.
Doesn't make that practical now either.

Keep it in your wallet. Do you keep your credit cards in your glove
box?
Old May 26th 05, 07:59 PM
Lee

thieves can't do anything is registration or insurance...... he is not
talking his title... gosh

-Lee

.. .

Old May 26th 05, 10:22 PM
Rob Guenther

I keep a photocopy of the registration and the normal copy of the insurance
in the cars manual (in that pocket) with the radio key code card and other
"vitals"... My dad keeps his stuff in his wallet and it's unreadable after
about a month or so - he's now gone to glove compartment too.

I don't know why you need registration, the 2 times I got pulled over, they
looked up the car on the computer, all I needed was liscence and
insurance... In fact I got off easy because I didn't have the registration,
that's what I got a ticket for.

Worried about cops thinking you're going for your gun... Is America REALLY
this bad??? Tell them why you are going into the glove box if you're
worried, or have him open it for you.
g...

Old May 27th 05, 05:43 AM
Steve W.

"Rich Wales" > wrote in message
g...
> Where should you keep the registration form in an '04 Golf?
>
> In my previous cars, I used to keep the registration behind a
> clip-on mirror on the sun visor. But there doesn't seem to be
> room to do this on my Golf, because the built-in mirror with
> the sliding cover takes up so much room in the visor.
>
> I'm currently keeping the registration in the side pocket of
> the owner's manual, but I'm concerned that in the (hopefully
> unlikely!) event that I were ever pulled over and asked to show
> "license and registration", the police officer might freak out
> if I were to go for the glove compartment (which might, for all
> he/she knows, contain a gun).
>
> Any thoughts (other than "don't ever drive in a way that would
> ever make a police office think of wanting to pull you over")?
>
> Rich Wales http://www.richw.org

Glove box. That is where most people keep it. The title stays at home or
in a safe deposit box. Don't keep it in your wallet since you might
forget the wallet and then your in REAL trouble when you can't show the
drivers license and registration. Plus IF someone else drives that
vehicle and they get stopped they will not have a copy to show the
officer. For folks who keep a gun in there as well just notify the
officer it is there when he asks for the papers. If your in a state that
has permits make sure you have it as well, Just in case he asks to see
it. Keep in mind that in states that require pistol permits the officer
already knows if the RO has one or not. It comes up with the rest of the
vehicle info about the owner.

Old May 27th 05, 02:55 PM
S John M-M

Actually, that's something else about my 95 Cabrio-- no glove box. And
it a sidebar to the other tread about my hostage trunk situation, I
wound up keeping the registration and insurance stuff in an envelope
which I taped on the ceiling of my trunk (the interior of that metal
shelf I'm getting ready to try to take out).

Anyhow, should ya get pulled over, I'm sure John Law will be more than
happy to let you retrieve whatever it is you need to retrieve for him
so long as you explain what you're doing. Actually, as a matter of
habit, I keep my wallet and ID and all in my book bag, which is
usually in my trunk or secured in whatever car/truck/jeep I had. I've
been pulled over in that situation-- and it never added up to any
problem.

--S. John

On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:43:19 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

rg...

Old May 27th 05, 03:39 PM
Matt B.

"S John M-M" > wrote in message

> Actually, that's something else about my 95 Cabrio-- no glove box. And
> it a sidebar to the other tread about my hostage trunk situation, I
> wound up keeping the registration and insurance stuff in an envelope
> which I taped on the ceiling of my trunk (the interior of that metal
> shelf I'm getting ready to try to take out).

pretty inconvenient though. what about door map pockets? wouldnt' that be
easier?

Old May 27th 05, 04:08 PM
John S.

Maybe I'm different, but I don't plan my driving habits around whether
I'm going to be pulled over. Just store the paperwork in a place where
they won't get misplaced that is also easy to get to. For most of us
that place is the glove compartment. And the cops know that. Just be
deliberate and open in your movements and it will be fine...honest.

If you are among the minority who has a license to carry a concealed
weapon in the glove compartment then explain the situation to the
officer BEFORE opening the glove box.

Interesting that a receptacle that stores everything except gloves
these days is still called a glove compartment.

Old May 27th 05, 08:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 27 May 2005, S John M-M wrote:

> Actually, that's something else about my 95 Cabrio-- no glove box.

They decided you needed an airbag and knee bolster more than you needed a
glovebox.