Torque converter going bad?

Old June 10th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Torque converter going bad?

Hi all:

Veheicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 1995 "Straight V6"

Symtoms: I am driving and stopping at a red light, when the light turns
green, I step
on the gas, the engine would revs to between 3-4000 RPM
for about 5 seconds
and the car would lurch and act normally.

The Firestone guy: Says that it is having problem shifting to third and
it's hard shifting.
He called his "buddy" but would not get
him. He said the "Torque
converter" is going bad. I also might need
some trans work.

Any advice?

-J.

Old June 10th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Have you checked the fluid level, hot, running in park, brake on,
on level ground? Cold and being on pint low will cause it to slip while
it's finding oil to pressurize the servos. Usually the torque convert
problem is lockup and it then stalls the engine at stop signs.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 11th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Crossed any deep puddles or creeks lately? Jeep in it's ultimate
wisdumb didn't put a high water vent on the transmission, they only put
them on the diffs and t-case.

I have seen a lot full of foamy fluid from this. You can drain it and
every one I have seen or heard of came back to life. One 1985 tranny
had mud in it even and it came back.

Then you can also just have a dirty connection on the TPS. It controls
the shifts and they do get dirty. A spray with an electronic contact
cleaner on the plug and socket is the best, but WD40 will work in a
pinch.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 11th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well, it's been raining heavy lately and I have driven across my shares
of deep puddles. What do I ask the technician to do or check?

Thank!

-John

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 11th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Foam is over full. The oil is whip up because it's up in the gears,
resulting in air bubbles being pumped throughout the system. Drain it
like Mike suggested, may save it.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 11th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If the fluid is foamy and looks something like a milkshake, you can just
pull the dipstick and look to be sure, then a drain and fill is in order
with a new filter.

If the fluid is still red and clear but foamy, then I would just clean
the plug for the TPS (throttle position sensor) with contact cleaner
before spending money. The plug is on the throttle body.

The torque converter could be bad also, but that runs into a lot of
money to change so I would try the cheap fixes first.

Mike

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 11th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If water and oil emulsion (i.e. what Mike is calling "foamy") is in the
torque converter, then you will have to change the fluid, run the engine
some, and then change it again, to get all or most of the water out. The
torque converter holds approximately half the fluid in the transmission, and
as far as I know there is no convenient way to drain it. It would be
helpful to have a mechanic, who knows by sight and feel, the difference
between water and oil emulsion, and foam caused by overfilling. The foam
that Bill is talking about, is air in oil, and should go away as soon as the
proper amount of fluid is restored.

Drain and refill of the transmission is much, much cheaper than a rebuild,
which would probably be your next step, if the drain and refill does not
help. In much of auto repairs, it is wise to try the cheap, easy repairs
first. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost much. It it does, you have
saved a bundle.

Earle

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 11th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Earle Horton did pass the time by typing:
> If water and oil emulsion (i.e. what Mike is calling "foamy") is in the
> torque converter, then you will have to change the fluid, run the engine
> some, and then change it again, to get all or most of the water out. The
> torque converter holds approximately half the fluid in the transmission, and
> as far as I know there is no convenient way to drain it. It would be
> helpful to have a mechanic, who knows by sight and feel, the difference
> between water and oil emulsion, and foam caused by overfilling. The foam
> that Bill is talking about, is air in oil, and should go away as soon as the
> proper amount of fluid is restored.

The only good way to clean it all out is to remove it and compleatly drain
the torque converter.

If it's water then draining is the only way.
http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq6.htm

More reading
http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/040206

--
DougW

Old June 11th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Earle Horton did pass the time by typing:
> > If water and oil emulsion (i.e. what Mike is calling "foamy") is in the
> > torque converter, then you will have to change the fluid, run the engine
> > some, and then change it again, to get all or most of the water out.
> > The torque converter holds approximately half the fluid in the
> > transmission, and as far as I know there is no convenient way to
> > drain it. It would be helpful to have a mechanic, who knows by
> > sight and feel, the difference between water and oil emulsion, and
> > foam caused by overfilling. The foam that Bill is talking about,
> > is air in oil, and should go away as soon as the proper amount
> > of fluid is restored.

> The only good way to clean it all out is to remove it and compleatly drain
> the torque converter.
>
> If it's water then draining is the only way.
> http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq6.htm

Of course no one really believes that their transmission needs to be taken
apart and rebuilt. Theirs is always the one that will miraculously recover,
because they have caught the problem and done something in time. Or, "There
really isn't that much water in mine. Two or three changes will fix it."
In psychology this is called "denial".

I have seen the process of changing the fluid in a modern, no-drain-fitting
torque converter described. It involves a tiny siphon hose and the patience
of Job. It is not a reasonable procedure unless you have way more time on
your hands than money. When I worked in the Dodge garage I just told the
service manager, "Look, this transmission has one of X conditions, where the
manual dictates replacing the torque converter. Tell the customer we can't
give him any warranty on the job, unless we sell him one." Burnt smelling
fluid required a new torque converter. Water in the fluid required a new
torque converter. And so on. This is all true, but lots of people try a
fluid change first, and many may get a few more miles out of it.

Who are we, to tell people what reality is all about?

Earle

Old June 11th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all:
>
> Veheicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 1995 "Straight V6"

There is no such thing as a "straight V6". You EITHER have a straight 6 or a
V6.

HINT
It is not a V6.

> Symtoms: I am driving and stopping at a red light, when the light turns
> green, I step
> on the gas, the engine would revs to between 3-4000 RPM
> for about 5 seconds
> and the car would lurch and act normally.
>
> The Firestone guy: Says that it is having problem shifting to third and
> it's hard shifting.
> He called his "buddy" but would not get
> him. He said the "Torque
> converter" is going bad. I also might need
> some trans work.
>
> Any advice?
>
> -J.

1 -- you need another shop.

2 -- you probably need to add fluid --at the very least -- or replace the
fluid you have (which is my advice).

I think your first course of action is to get your trans flushed out. I had
a transmission flush not long ago, the cost was $70, and it solved lots of
problems I was having.