keep original paint?

Old April 18th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default keep original paint?

I have a '73 Thing in orange. The paint is pretty good overall with a few
spots showing a little white undercoating. Is there any particular reason I
should keep it in the original paint? Does it have a great effect on resale
values?

I was thinking of having it done in Desert Camouflage, on the door I was
going to recreate Rommel's Afrika Korps insignia but instead of a swastika
on the palm tree I was going to put the Lone Star flag.

LLB

Old April 18th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

brassbend wrote:

> I have a '73 Thing in orange. The paint is pretty good overall with a few
> spots showing a little white undercoating. Is there any particular reason I
> should keep it in the original paint? Does it have a great effect on resale
> values?
>
> I was thinking of having it done in Desert Camouflage, on the door I was
> going to recreate Rommel's Afrika Korps insignia but instead of a swastika
> on the palm tree I was going to put the Lone Star flag.
>
> LLB

Just in case you missed some of these sites:
http://www.thething.org/

http://www.type181registry.com/
http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/index.htm

Personally, I don't think you need to keep the orig color.
However, I would stay away from personal statements (such as the flag or
swastika). Just my opinion.

If you're going to re-spray, prep is 99.9% of the job.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 18th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I would suggest Vinyl Decals if one wants to put stuff like that on it, but
if you have no long term plans to sell I say paint it on!
"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
. com...
> brassbend wrote:
>
>> I have a '73 Thing in orange. The paint is pretty good overall with a
>> few
>> spots showing a little white undercoating. Is there any particular
>> reason I
>> should keep it in the original paint? Does it have a great effect on
>> resale
>> values?
>>
>> I was thinking of having it done in Desert Camouflage, on the door I was
>> going to recreate Rommel's Afrika Korps insignia but instead of a
>> swastika
>> on the palm tree I was going to put the Lone Star flag.
>>
>> LLB
>>

> Just in case you missed some of these sites:
> http://www.thething.org/
>
> http://www.type181registry.com/
> http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/index.htm
>

> Personally, I don't think you need to keep the orig color.
> However, I would stay away from personal statements (such as the flag or
> swastika). Just my opinion.
>
> If you're going to re-spray, prep is 99.9% of the job.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Question: Fixing paint chips; metallic DW General 1 May 23rd 05 01:09 PM
original paint on vettes jim Corvette 2 March 10th 05 01:46 AM
'90 Plymouth Acclaim / do it yourself auto paint captain20018 Dodge 0 November 8th 04 07:35 PM
paint chips & touchup paint (brush on vs. aerosol) Joe Blo General 9 September 22nd 04 03:40 PM