rubber coupling between trans / driveshaft

Old December 22nd 04, 11:12 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

Default rubber coupling between trans / driveshaft

I have a deteriorating rubber coupling that connects the tranny to the
driveshaft on a 93 325i. I've purchased the replacement part (ouch, $140
from dealer) but I'm wondering how simple / difficult this replacement will
be. Looks simple but in the Haynes manual, it talks about removing the
exhaust system (could this just be in reference to fully removing the drive
shaft?) and it says something about torqueing the shaft or something. I was
hoping I'd be able to pull out the bolts, drop the coupling straight out,
slide the new one in and fasten the bolts back and be done.

Any insight / experience would be appreciated.

Chris

Old December 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote
>I have a deteriorating rubber coupling that connects the tranny to the
> driveshaft on a 93 325i. I've purchased the replacement part (ouch, $140
> from dealer) but I'm wondering how simple / difficult this replacement
> will
> be. Looks simple but in the Haynes manual, it talks about removing the
> exhaust system (could this just be in reference to fully removing the
> drive
> shaft?) and it says something about torqueing the shaft or something. I
> was
> hoping I'd be able to pull out the bolts, drop the coupling straight out,
> slide the new one in and fasten the bolts back and be done.
>
> Any insight / experience would be appreciated.

It's called a "guibo". Google for past discussions, but:
1) you have remove exhaust pipes because:
2) you have to remove the center driveshaft bearing and:
3) the driveshaft has to be removed (from the differential)
to gain enough room to remove the guibo. The guibo bolts can't
be removed unless the driveshaft is removed.

Other than that, it's really easy.

Floyd

Old December 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
Jim Levie

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:12:32 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> I have a deteriorating rubber coupling that connects the tranny to the
> driveshaft on a 93 325i. I've purchased the replacement part (ouch, $140
> from dealer) but I'm wondering how simple / difficult this replacement
> will be. Looks simple but in the Haynes manual, it talks about removing
> the exhaust system (could this just be in reference to fully removing the
> drive shaft?) and it says something about torqueing the shaft or
> something. I was hoping I'd be able to pull out the bolts, drop the
> coupling straight out, slide the new one in and fasten the bolts back and
> be done.

I presume the part you are referring to is the guibo, aka center bearing.

Yes, the exhaust has to come off because the driveshaft has to come out.
And, be sure to check the universals for freedom of movement and play. Its
been my experience that the usual cause of a failure of the guibo is stiff
universals, which means that it is time to replace the driveshaft or have
it rebuilt.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old December 23rd 04, 12:03 AM
Vernon Balbert

Jim Levie wrote:

> I presume the part you are referring to is the guibo, aka center bearing.

Okay, I gotta ask: How do you pronounce "guibo"?
Old December 23rd 04, 12:03 AM
Jeff Strickland

$140!!! I found that part at Kragen for under $50.

It is a semi pain in the ass to get to. The driveshaft has to come off, or
at least partially off. The exhaust system is in the way, but if you take
the exhaust off, and the sheet metal heat shield, then the drive shaft is
exposed.

You should be able to pull the bolts and drop the front section of the
driveshaft. The manual does say the exhaust has to be removed, but I think
that is for full removal of the driveshaft. (The manual also says the front
end can be disconnected without taking the entire shaft off.) I don't know
if the exhaust is in the way for this or not.

Old December 23rd 04, 12:04 AM
Jeff Strickland

The Bentley manual calls it a flex coupling.

Old December 23rd 04, 12:51 AM

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in
:

> The Bentley manual calls it a flex coupling.

i've seen it as 'flex disk' as well
Old December 23rd 04, 01:19 AM
Malt_Hound

Jim Levie wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:12:32 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>

> I presume the part you are referring to is the guibo, aka center bearing.

No. The guibo (gwee-bow) is also known as the "flex disk" is the rubber
driveline cushion right aft of the tranny. It is not the same thing as
the center bearing, which is only known as the center bearing AFAIK. It
is at the support bracket between the two halves of the drive (aka
propellor) shaft.

--
The Malt Hound
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

To reply you must first remove all *spam*
Old December 23rd 04, 02:01 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks guys, and YES this is the rubber 'disk' type of deal that connects
the output shaft of the tranny with the leading edge of the drive shaft, not
the bearing deal at the center point of the drive shaft.

I guess I'll take off whatever I am forced to remove for access. I was
hoping to confirm that this pc wasn't under pressure, I guess I'll find out
when I try to slip it out.

The manual also says that you have to use new nuts when you reassemble this
but the parts guy ant BMW said nobody does, youdon't have to do that. Any
opinions?

Chris

Old December 23rd 04, 02:16 AM
Jeff Strickland

You can unbolt the center support and the shaft will drop enough to get the
flex coupling off.

Sorry, that's "flex-disc". I think I may have refferred to this part as a
flex coupling in another post. I am corrected, Bentley calls it flex-disc.

From Bently
NOTE
It is possible to only partially remove the driveshaft, leaving it connected
to the final drive. The driveshaft can be tilted down in the center and slid
off the transmission flange once the clamping sleeve is loosened and the
center bearng bracket is unbolted. Suspend the driveshaft using stiff wire
in as close to the installed position as possible. If the driveshaft hangs
unsupported, the rear universal joint may be damaged.

Another note from Bentley suggests using a hose clamp around the flex-disc
to facilitate easier removal of the bolts holding it on.