Wheel Bearing Play? - '91 Civc Si

Old October 15th 04, 07:11 AM
Chopface

Default Wheel Bearing Play? - '91 Civc Si

Hi,

I got a passenger side knuckle from a bone yard today for $30 and
cleaned it up tonight to get ready for this weekend. I got the knuckle
because my original wheel bearing got trashed at a shop I took my
original knuckle to with the driveshaft stuck in it (looks like the
driveshaft survived okay so at least I'll get my core). The bearing
seems to spin nicely, but I noticed it has some slight play in it, lined
up with the axis of rotation. Maybe a mm. Is this normal? Even if its a
bad bearing I'll at least be able to drive my car, and take it in to
have shop with a press and the right tools do the bearing for me.

Mark
Old October 31st 04, 01:29 PM
chuck smoko

Mark,
I would replace the bearing as it would be easier and cheaper to
do now rather than after you install and it may find it bad. If
the shaft was "beat on", there MAY be little dents in the race and
you will hear ( or feel is a better term ) this as you drive.

I have never replaced the bearing on a Honda. Have done bearing
replacement on two Saturn's and a few of VW's. I guess they use
better bearings. On my 97 accord, to replace the rotor's you you
have the bearing in your hand if you take off the rotors. (see link) I
think all 90's accords are like this. I can't speak for civics.

Do you have 2 screws holding on your rotors or 4 bolts? With the 2
screw system, I think you will need to press the bearing out. On the
four bolt system as you have the spindle off, it should be easy to replace
a bearing. See link below:

http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconn...loads/3501.pdf

chuck