manufacturer rebuilt vs indy rebuilt transmission

Old December 7th 04, 11:37 PM
Steve

RPhillips47 wrote:
> "Steve" wrote:
>

>>>But many of us use the easiest option because:
>>>1) We value our time more than to spend it searching locally;

>>What do you DO with that whole hour that's so valuable?

> If YOU only spend one hour searching locally you have spent NO TIME whatsoever
> trying to find a shop that meets all of the criteria you have been advocating.

If you take longer than an hour you don't know how to use the phone. Or
don't know how to ask, "Do you do your own in-house rebuilds on Chrysler
41TE transmissions? Yeah? OK, we all know they had some problems, what
kind of failures do you usually see? Yeah, what's the fix? (wait for
right answers)... Do you see a lot of come-backs? No- OK. What fluid do
you use? ATF+4 OK, thanks, mind if I come by and talk to you about my car?"

Then you go visit the shop, have a look around, talk to the manager and
confirm the phone conversation. The 5th shop I called gave me a lengthy,
detailed description of exactly what upgrades they've found to be the
best, and what assembly procedures give the lowest come-backs. Not a
lentghy process at all. The first 3 said, "No, that transmission is 'too
complicated,' we buy them from the dealer" and got an immediate hang-up
from me. The other one couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what fixes they
apply to the known probems.

Old December 7th 04, 11:40 PM
Steve

Matt Whiting wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> RPhillips47 wrote:

>>> But many of us use the easiest option because: 1) We value our time
>>> more than to spend it searching locally;

>> What do you DO with that whole hour that's so valuable?
>>
>>> 2) We use that time to work or spend it with our family;

>> What percentage of your time do you think it REALLY takes? An hour or
>> two of phone calls every 10 years or so is too invasive for you?
>> That's all it took me.

> You must be clairvoyant if you can determine the competence of a
> transmimssion shop via a phone call. Do you select your surgeon that
> same way?
>
> Matt

Nope, just gotta know the right questions to ask. That narrows it down
to the point that visiting no more than 1-2 shops is necessary.

My car and my family's safety is worth it to me. A "lifetime warranty"
doesn't do my wife any good if the POS assembly-line rebuild has a
meltdown 100 miles from the nearest dealer, or in a bad part of town
late at night, or during a winter storm....

Old December 7th 04, 11:40 PM
Steve

Old December 8th 04, 12:08 AM
Matt Whiting

Steve wrote:

> Matt Whiting wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:

>>> What do you DO with that whole hour that's so valuable?

>>> What percentage of your time do you think it REALLY takes? An hour or
>>> two of phone calls every 10 years or so is too invasive for you?
>>> That's all it took me.

>> You must be clairvoyant if you can determine the competence of a
>> transmimssion shop via a phone call. Do you select your surgeon that
>> same way?
>>
>> Matt
>>

> Nope, just gotta know the right questions to ask. That narrows it down
> to the point that visiting no more than 1-2 shops is necessary.

And you believe that the unscrupulous shops will tell you the truth
about what they do. Give me a call, I've got some real estate to sell
you. The biggest fiasco I ever had with a vehicle was a private shop
that I hired to make a ring & pinion swap in my Chevy pickup. I asked
around and got a good recommendation from a friend who is a auto
enthusiast. I called the guy and asked him questions about r&p setup,
how many he'd changed and set up, etc. He certainly sounded like he
knew what he was doing. Well, 30 days later, at a cost of twice what he
quoted me, I had a truck with a very noisy rear r&p that ran very hot.
The guy told me that he had it apart "several times" and that was the
best he could get it, even with no shims on the pinion.

I took it to the local GM dealer who fixed it in a morning. Turns out
what the "independent" mechanic had missed is that GM went to a
"machined to fit" shim a few years back rather than using standard shim
packs. This guy mistook the "shim" for a spacer and was adding shims to
the spacer that was already the right size for the original setup and
too large for the new pinion. So even when he used no shims, he was
using a very thick shim. Unless you were an expert on GM rear ends,
you'd have never know to ask him a question like this. So, Einstein,
tell me how you would have detected this missing piece of key data
during a phone screen ... or even a visit to the shop?

Matt

Old December 8th 04, 12:08 AM
Matt Whiting

Old December 8th 04, 03:13 AM
RPhillips47

"Stevie-boy" wrote:

>If you take longer than an hour you don't know how to use the phone. Or
>don't know how to ask, "Do you do your own in-house rebuilds on Chrysler
>41TE transmissions? Yeah? OK, we all know they had some problems, what
>kind of failures do you usually see? Yeah, what's the fix? (wait for
>right answers)... Do you see a lot of come-backs? No- OK. What fluid do
>you use? ATF+4 OK, thanks, mind if I come by and talk to you about my car?"

>Then you go visit the shop, have a look around, talk to the manager and
>confirm the phone conversation. The 5th shop I called gave me a lengthy,
>detailed description of exactly what upgrades they've found to be the
>best, and what assembly procedures give the lowest come-backs. Not a
>lentghy process at all. The first 3 said, "No, that transmission is 'too
>complicated,' we buy them from the dealer" and got an immediate hang-up
>from me. The other one couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what fixes they
>apply to the known probems.

.....and wants to continue this ****ing contest. Stevie-boy, you AWS and I see
no need to continue. You feel you know all of the answers and your way is the
only way. Guess what? YOU'RE WRONG!!!!!!!!! Bye!
Old December 8th 04, 03:13 AM
RPhillips47

Old December 8th 04, 03:02 PM
Steve B.

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:37:42 -0600, Steve > wrote:

>If you take longer than an hour you don't know how to use the phone. Or
>don't know how to ask, "Do you do your own in-house rebuilds on Chrysler
>41TE transmissions? Yeah? OK, we all know they had some problems, what
>kind of failures do you usually see? Yeah, what's the fix? (wait for
>right answers)... Do you see a lot of come-backs? No- OK. What fluid do
>you use? ATF+4 OK, thanks, mind if I come by and talk to you about my car?"

The only problem with this is that I as a consumer probably don't know
the answers to the questions or even what parts are in a transmission
so they could make up anything to tell me and I wouldn't have a clue
if I was getting the run around or being told the truth.

Even if the rebuild from Chrysler turned out to be junk its easier to
spend those kind of bucks knowing you have the dealer network and
financial resources of Chrysler staning behind it. Probably all of us
here have had to give up on a mechanic or dealer and take a car
somewhere else to be repaired at some point in time and not many of us
can stand to take the financial hit of a bad rebuild from a bad shop.

All in all I agree that the independant can do a better job for a
better price but being in the average consumers shoes of not knowing a
good transmission person and not knowing how a transmission works I
would probably also go back to the security of Ma Mopar.

This is another case where building a good relationship with an
independant mechanic can help out. If I don't know beans about a
transmission but my mechanic Joe does and he says XYZ company is the
best place in town to go then I am ahead of the game.

Steve B.
Old December 8th 04, 03:02 PM
Steve B.

Old December 8th 04, 06:24 PM
Steve

Matt Whiting wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> Matt Whiting wrote:

>>> You must be clairvoyant if you can determine the competence of a
>>> transmimssion shop via a phone call. Do you select your surgeon that
>>> same way?
>>>
>>> Matt
>>>

>> Nope, just gotta know the right questions to ask. That narrows it down
>> to the point that visiting no more than 1-2 shops is necessary.

> And you believe that the unscrupulous shops will tell you the truth
> about what they do.

Of course not, which is why you ask questions and VISIT the shop to see
what's going on.

You think all dealers that slap in shoddy mass-reman units are truthful
either? We all already know that holding dealer service departments
accountable on behalf of the customer is one of Chrysler's biggest
problems in the marketplace, you actually think it would be WORSE out
among the mom-and-pop shops?