car battery testers wrong??!

Old June 11th 05, 11:21 PM

Default car battery testers wrong??!

My electricity in my car was not working, so I went to a shop where
they tested it and my alternator. They said the battery was bad, so I
bought a new one.

Now, I just bought the old one 6 months ago, so I knew it shouldn't be
bad. The thing is, when I took it back to Advance Auto parts, they
tested it and charged it, and it seems to be holding a charge just fine
now. Three different machines said it was good. However, when tested
with a Snap-On MicroVAT it showed up as bad.

Now I'm confused. Obviously there was something wrong with my car a
week ago. With the new battery it seems to be working fine. However,
since 3 machines said the battery was good, and only the MicroVAT said
it was bad, I don't know what to believe.

Does any one have any advice?

Old June 12th 05, 02:50 AM

Early in life, I spent a ton of money on a damn battery that was flat every
morning. Battery tests
showed it to be good, just needed a charge.

Finally, after a number of road service calls and lots of bull****, I bought
a new battery. Problem solved!!!

Maybe well trained people with good equipment get it right more often than
not, but there
are a lot of ignorant cretins out there.

Old June 12th 05, 12:27 PM
Al Bundy

The shop tested you battery and alternator. Apparently the alternator
is charging properly. and now you have driven a week with no problems
so that diagnosis seems to be correct. I would say shop #1 was correct.
The goal of Advance Auto is not to make refunds on batteries. They
don't care how much grief you go through in proving your case.
Batteries can be very inconsistent at times and you probably have one
of these. If they won't refund it I would hold on to it a couple weeks
longer just to be sure on the car and then recycle the old battery.

Old June 12th 05, 01:04 PM
KG

On 11 Jun 2005 15:21:08 -0700, wrote:

>My electricity in my car was not working, so I went to a shop where
>they tested it and my alternator. They said the battery was bad, so I
>bought a new one.
>
>Now, I just bought the old one 6 months ago, so I knew it shouldn't be
>bad. The thing is, when I took it back to Advance Auto parts, they
>tested it and charged it, and it seems to be holding a charge just fine
>now. Three different machines said it was good. However, when tested
>with a Snap-On MicroVAT it showed up as bad.
>
>Now I'm confused. Obviously there was something wrong with my car a
>week ago. With the new battery it seems to be working fine. However,
>since 3 machines said the battery was good, and only the MicroVAT said
>it was bad, I don't know what to believe.
>
>Does any one have any advice?

Only a good battery load test will tell you much about the auto battery condition. It should be
done with a fresh full charge and again after setting a couple of days with out recharging. There
shouldn't be much change between the two test results. If the battery test good on the first test
but poor on the second you have sulafication, the battery will not hold a charge. It is common in
older betteries or one that have been overcharged.

Thank You

Dr. Kavorkian for White house Physician

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 11:38 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM