Four wheels but a bit off topic

Old June 7th 05, 02:07 PM
Tom in Missouri

Thanks everyone for the input. Lot more interest in mowing grass than I
thought. :-) I always tried to avoid it if possible. It gives me a lot
of food for thought.

Now I am noticing a lot have automatic transmission. My old one has a 7
speed and seemed to be fine with that, especially with running slow in some
areas. Is the automatic really worthwhile?

Ric, I'll have to run out and see if I can find that issue in the library.

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Usually I do pretty good on the mechanical stuff, but I've hit a problem

I'm
> not sure how to handle.
>
> It is time for a new lawn tractor. The current one is a Montgomery Wards
> tractor, so you know how old this thing has to be. I inherited it with

the
> house. It is an 18 hp 42 inch so that is probably about what I will

replace
> it with.
>
> The problem is what kind. Craftsman has 32 flavors of every model it

seems.
> Home Depot isn't much better with the cheap brand and the John Deere,

about

Old June 7th 05, 02:53 PM
Bob G.

>Now I am noticing a lot have automatic transmission. My old one has a 7
>speed and seemed to be fine with that, especially with running slow in some
>areas. Is the automatic really worthwhile?

Tom....
Honestly I have NO use for an a automatic in a
Corvette...(although one of mine is an automatic) ...but when it comes
to lawn tractors Full Hydrostatic is the only way to go in my
opinion... preferably one that does not require you to even use your
feet....

Bob G.

Old June 7th 05, 03:09 PM
W. Moore

A friend of mine has a Snapper riding mower that must have been used by
Moses. Still going strong. If you don't necessarily need a tractor type
mower Snapper might be the winner.

Old June 7th 05, 04:07 PM
Dad

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

> "Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>> Home Depot isn't much better with the cheap brand and the John Deere,
>> about
>> 6 or 7 to choose from. Then there is Lowe's with their half dozen.
>>
>> anyone have any thoughts?

> They mow a heck of a lot of grass here at the University. I've been
> looking at the mowers the last few days, and they all say Toro on the
> them. FWIW.
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Oh no, I just can't pass this up. Don't they just keep it short by the
coed's grazing?

Don't miss out on the zero turn, cut my mowing from 3 hours to an hour and
15 minutes, 50 inch 20 year old Cadet to a 52 inch Grasshopper that uses
less gas.

This thread is best viewed at JLA trash site.

Old June 7th 05, 05:06 PM
RicSeyler

All under $1600

#1 Murray 425640x5
4 wheel steering

#2 Poulan Pro PK185H42ST
Kohler Engine

#3 Husqvarna LTH18542
Controls very good

#4 Yard-Man X614G
Hydrostat Drive by foot pedal

#5 Troy Built Super Bronco
vibration free

#6 White Outdoor L100
Underseat gas tank

#7 Craftsman 27364
Cutting Height easy to set

There were many other pros and cons listed also.

--
Ric Seyler

Old June 7th 05, 06:07 PM
Paul H.

Yeah OT, but as an ex-military guy I recognize the threat posed to
national security by a ragged lawn. That said, I venture to my
daughter's a couple of weeks each summer and am "allowed" to play with
the "shed toys." New mower is a 54"-deck Deere. Four-acre lawn with
three dozen trees, several vegetable & flower beds and a long drainage
ditch with roll-over potential. Even though the safety interlocks are a
pain, the automatic is a big plus to help change speed in tight spots
and work under low hanging tree limbs. Probably not important if you
have long staight runs and can make wide turns.

Looked across the green at neighbor's new acquisition. Nice
maneuverable rig with castering rear wheels. Color was dull red--had a
nice sun awning--don't recall the brand--moved out like it had well over
35 HP -- impressive, looked like a nice ride -- guy has a Ferrari in the
garage.

Paul H.

Old June 8th 05, 05:11 AM
Tom in Missouri

Thanks for all the help. I am amazed at the replies, mainly since this off
topic question seems to be generating much more conversation than Corvettes
lately. :-)

Naturally, the tractor knows I am getting ready to replace it. Performed
like a champ today. Too bad the wife wouldn't take the same cue. :-)

Old June 11th 05, 04:56 PM
W. Moore

Hi again,
If you haven't seen them before there are lawnmower races sponsored by
STA-BIL gasoline additive. You can go to their web site and check out the
season schedule. When televised they are a hoot to watch and you might even
pick up a performance tip or two that could reduce your grass cutting time
considerably.

Old June 11th 05, 09:22 PM
dave

'The problem is what kind. Craftsman has 32 flavors of every model it
seems. Home Depot isn't much better with the cheap brand and the John
Deere, about 6 or 7 to choose from. Then there is Lowe's with their half
dozen.
anyone have any thoughts?

REPLY: I bought a Troy Built brand house generator recently...a good
size one. I was very very impressed with its design, engineering, and
quality. If they make their Lawn Tractors anything like thier
Generators, youd be pleased with it. Lowes has them. My dad has a
42" John Deere lawn tractor ; has had a couple of problems with it,
plus, you pay tons of money for the nameplate -- unimpressed with John
Deere at least on this size Lawn Tractor.

Old June 12th 05, 04:44 AM
Charlie

Tom, I inherited a MW tractor when I bought my house 20 years ago. When I
replaced it, I went Craftsman (twice). Boy do I miss that old MW. If you
get a new one, keep the old one around a while. My old MW would cut through
just about anything. Good luck on replacing your MW.

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

k.net...