'74 Super - shifting problems

Old August 14th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Nellis

Default '74 Super - shifting problems

I have a '74 Super that has been running well, but just recently started
having shifting problems.
When shifting from 1st to 2nd the car goes into 4th gear. I can go into 3rd
with no problem.
Occasionally I can move the shifter around and get it into 2nd, but not
consistently.

Any thoughts?

Old August 14th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

Nellis wrote:
> I have a '74 Super that has been running well, but just recently started
> having shifting problems.
> When shifting from 1st to 2nd the car goes into 4th gear. I can go into 3rd
> with no problem.
> Occasionally I can move the shifter around and get it into 2nd, but not
> consistently.
>
> Any thoughts?

Cause: The shifter bushing and/or the rear coupler are worn.

Solution: The shifter needs to be re-adjusted. This might fix the
problem for years to come, yet leave you with a sloppy shifter feel.
If you want it done right, a new bushing and coupler should be installed
and shifter adjusted.

adjustment is done by loosening the two 13mm head bolts at the base of
the shifter, enough to just be able to move the base in all 4
directions. There's more room for movement in the front/rear direction,
and less side to side. Set it loose, put gear in first reasonably hard,
then put it in secnd gear with just enough force to move the base too.
Tighten, test drive,and repeat until you can find all 4 gears and not
hit reverse by accident. Several attempts are usually required if you
are not experienced. You can try finding other gears too when the bolts
are loose, but I use 1st and 2nd as my guide, usually.

Jan

--
--------------------------------
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells
Old September 21st 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Nellis

Jan,

Thanks for the excellent information. I easily swapped out the shifter
coupler and
the bug is shifting better than it ever has.

Very cheap and easy solution.

Thanks again,

- Nellis

Old September 22nd 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

I'm happy to hear that, congrats!

jan