Winter tires

Old December 20th 04, 11:52 PM
pjjohnsen[at]hotmail.com

Default Winter tires

I am running the Michelin Artic Alpin 4x4 on my 2001 Pathfinder SE
(3.5L w/ 5 speed). Here is my review after one full winter:
Good tire in dry (quiet - much more so than the stock Toyo's). They
do walk a little in pitted out highway situations and over metal grated
bridges. This is expected with all the siping in the tire. Let's face
it you don't buy a 4x4 to be a racer, however when pushed hard around
turns this tire feels solid.
Good tire in the rain - we get plenty of it out here and lately I drive
this car more in the rain (semi-retired from year round biking to work,
hope to come out of retirement next year :-) ). Additionally, I was
looking for a tire that had good tread wear and review pointed this
way (check out tirerack.com for a bunch of reviews).
Great tire in snow, we get plenty of it on Mt. Hood (not so far this
year) and central OR. We also get a lot of variable conditions from
tons of near freezing wet to black ice. This tire inspires confidence.
Running my Toyos for the first two winters, I couldn't wait to get into
4x4 mode and had a couple of scary 50 mph slips on black ice. None of
that with the artic alpin.
I almost never have the abs kick in either, again not the case with the
stock Toyo's (which is like comparing apples to oranges, but the only 2
tires
I have ever had on this SUV).
Driving style
Generally I drive pretty fast but always with large stopping distances.
I would recommend this tire as an excellent winter tire. I have had
Blizzaks on a Volvo and would attest to the fact that they wear out too
quickly. Not sure the longevity of the Artic Alpin 4x4 as of yet.
Thinking about getting
a set of winter Michelins for a BMW 525i. The only other winter tire
that
I have heard great reviews on is the Nokian Hakka..., volvo purests in
Vermont
would run nothing but on their 240 wagons, that is another story (go
MRG!).

Francois Langdeau wrote:
> Stephen
>
> I'm in Montreal myself and I am debating the best choice for my
> Pathfinder. Trying to find information in the 'net did not help very
> much.
>
> So, my choice right now is between the Alpin 4x4 or the new Geolander

> I/T. But I cannot find much to help. Anybody here would know where to

> look or informations to help narrowing down the choice ? Even
> alternatives are welcomed at this stage. At least I know that the

Alpin

Old December 21st 04, 12:06 AM
pjjohnsen[at]hotmail.com

Old December 21st 04, 12:38 PM
Herve Regad-Pellagru

com> I am running the Michelin Artic Alpin 4x4 on my 2001
com> Pathfinder SE (3.5L w/ 5 speed). Here is my review after one
com> full winter: Good tire in dry (quiet - much more so than the
com> stock Toyo's). They do walk a little in pitted out highway
com> situations and over metal grated bridges. This is expected
com> with all the siping in the tire. Let's face it you don't buy
com> a 4x4 to be a racer, however when pushed hard around turns
com> this tire feels solid. Good tire in the rain - we get plenty
com> of it out here and lately I drive this car more in the rain
com> (semi-retired from year round biking to work, hope to come
com> out of retirement next year :-) ). Additionally, I was
com> looking for a tire that had good tread wear and review
com> pointed this way (check out tirerack.com for a bunch of
com> reviews). Great tire in snow, we get plenty of it on
com> Mt. Hood (not so far this year) and central OR. We also get
com> a lot of variable conditions from tons of near freezing wet
com> to black ice. This tire inspires confidence. Running my
com> Toyos for the first two winters, I couldn't wait to get into
com> 4x4 mode and had a couple of scary 50 mph slips on black ice.
com> None of that with the artic alpin. I almost never have the
com> abs kick in either, again not the case with the stock Toyo's
com> (which is like comparing apples to oranges, but the only 2
com> tires I have ever had on this SUV). Driving style Generally
com> I drive pretty fast but always with large stopping distances.
com> I would recommend this tire as an excellent winter tire. I
com> have had Blizzaks on a Volvo and would attest to the fact
com> that they wear out too quickly. Not sure the longevity of the
com> Artic Alpin 4x4 as of yet. Thinking about getting a set of
com> winter Michelins for a BMW 525i. The only other winter tire
com> that I have heard great reviews on is the Nokian Hakka...,
com> volvo purests in Vermont would run nothing but on their 240
com> wagons, that is another story (go MRG!).

Hi,

Interesting review, indeed.

What is the behaviour on very wet snow ?

--

Herve Regad-Pellagru

second-system effect: n. (sometimes, more euphoniously, `second-system
syndrome') When one is designing the successor to a relatively small,
elegant, and successful system, there is a tendency to become
grandiose in one's success and design an elephantine feature-laden
monstrosity.
Old December 21st 04, 03:38 PM
Steve W.

http://www.1010tires.com/Michelin_Ar...pin_tires.html

Has lots of reviews about them. opinion looks VERY mixed.

--
Steve

Old December 21st 04, 10:30 PM
pjjohnsen[at]hotmail.com

Previous Link pointed to the passenger tire version, which
has since gone through a revision (now called PA2). Here is
the tire that I described in my review:
http://www.1010tires.com/Michelin_4x4_Alpin_tires.html
another link with a mix of reviews (some are the passenger car version
reviewed in the wrong place):
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P
Awesome in wet snow, too. On a variety of cars, I have had great
results with Michelins. Yeah, they cost more but (in my opinion) worth
it. Currently running Conti Extreme Contacts on my BMW 525i (couldn't
beat the price at tirerack for 225/55R16's), tires are too new to say
much about them, plus that is for a different (non-truck) forum.
Looks as if Michelin has changed name/style a little: Latitude X-Ice
(don't see the artic alpin 4x4 offered on tirerack.com any longer).
Planning on putting
LTX M/S on the Pathfinder to replace the stock Toyo bologna skins.

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the

World!

Servers =-----