97 Caravan Instrument Panel

Old June 28th 04, 02:36 AM
Tom Donnelly

Default 97 Caravan Instrument Panel

1997 Caravan, and occasionally, the guages on the instrument panel won't
register, the electronic odometer and transmission selector is not lit, but
the ABS light comes on. Restarting the van a few times may fix it or it may
fix itself while driving. When the guages start registering again, the ABS
light goes out.
Any ideas?

Old June 29th 04, 01:25 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:36:44 -0400, Tom Donnelly wrote:

> 1997 Caravan, and occasionally, the guages on the instrument panel won't
> register, the electronic odometer and transmission selector is not lit, but
> the ABS light comes on. Restarting the van a few times may fix it or it may
> fix itself while driving. When the guages start registering again, the ABS
> light goes out.
> Any ideas?

Bad ground / bad (loose) connection, obviously something that would affect
the entire cluster. The ABS light comes on probably because some sensor
that is somehow related to the cluster is not getting the signal that ABS
is on, so it "thinks" that ABS is off (or, if ABS depends on some signal
that goes through the cluster (why, I don't know), then ABS may very well
BE off).

If I had a gambling problem, I'd put money on a faulty connection/ground.

The fix? Reseat fuses, get behind the cluster and reseat all connections,
check all ground straps, etc etc etc etc etc.

HIH
CJ
--
THIS POST ORIGINATED FROM USENET, *NOT* ANY WEB-BASED FORUM! IF YOU ARE READING
IT FROM A WEB BROWSER SUCH AS INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE, THEN YOU ARE NOT

Old June 29th 04, 01:25 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old July 1st 04, 04:14 PM

>>On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Tom Donnelly wrote:
> 1997 Caravan, and occasionally, the guages on the instrument panel won't
> register, the electronic odometer and transmission selector is not lit, but
> the ABS light comes on. Restarting the van a few times may fix it or it may
> fix itself while driving. When the guages start registering again, the ABS
> light goes out.
> Any ideas?

I think this is not uncommon with the late 90's instrument panels. More
than likely, you need to have the instrument cluster circuit board
replaced. I had the EXACT same problem with my '96 Dodge Stratus and had
the circuit board replaced by my local wrench.

--
leosity [at] gapout [dot] com
Old July 1st 04, 04:14 PM

Old July 3rd 04, 02:12 AM
seabringlx2003

instrument panel is shot, there a bitch to change

Old July 3rd 04, 02:12 AM
seabringlx2003

instrument panel is shot, there a bitch to change

Old September 28th 04, 05:04 PM
SKHCWARREN

I am having the same problems with my 99 grand caravan se. What have you
done to resolve the problem with your 97 caravan?

Old September 28th 04, 05:04 PM
SKHCWARREN

I am having the same problems with my 99 grand caravan se. What have you
done to resolve the problem with your 97 caravan?

Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 09:22 AM
Instrument Panel Cover Dan BMW 1 October 4th 04 03:45 PM
93 caravan - no instrument lights rick Dodge 6 June 23rd 04 03:10 AM
Caravan Transmission Issues Doug Dodge 1 April 29th 04 10:22 PM