Bad morning for cars in my life.. long

Old July 18th 05, 05:02 PM
finding z0

Default Bad morning for cars in my life.. long

Got in the 2001 Prelude this morning (40K miles). Started it and hit AC
button about the same time and the bugger stalled and all the lights
came on. Cranked but wouldn't start. Sounded a bit weak as well. Did
the 'if you had a carb & flooded it routine' i.e., floored it and
cranked. It limped alive but weakly. Let it build up some rpm's then
hit the AC button (80deg & 91% humidity at 8AM). No joy. The AC was
dead. The night before I went to pick my daughter up at the mall. The
mall lot was flooded from downpours (police, emergency, fire, camera
crews, etc.). Some cars had water up to their windows. I skirted the
flood (did hit some shallow water at speed that splashed a bit (noted a
strange ping)and drove on. Took her home w/o incident.
I decided to leave the the Prelude in the garage and got in the '91
Integra (AC repaired last month). Drove a few blocks and the oil light
came on. This car has 140K miles and never burned a drop of oil.
Called my 18yr old daughter and asked her if she noticed a light on her
r/t to Chicago 2 weeks ago (388 mi). She said no, nor on the brief
errand she ran the day before. Stopped at Jiffy lube and they added
2-2.5 qts (they had changed the oil 1000 mi earlier). There was a bit
of oil around the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. I drove it to
work. I'll follow the oil on this one just to make sure they hadn't
underfilled it the first time. What's this gasket work gonna cost me at
a dealer?
Cheers.
p.s life is good on other days.

Old July 18th 05, 10:59 PM
Bruce

Get the VC gasket fixed first... will be expensive at the dealer, maybe
$150-200? Not sure. Any shade tree mechanic should be able to do this
job in 20 mins easy.

VC gasket leaks are notorious for getting blown all over the engine
making you think it's leaking from several places.

The oil pan gasket is a more difficult and expensive fix... might have
to remove the cross member (not too familiar w/ 'ludes), then you have
to let the gasket material cure overnight, etc. Figure several hundred
at a dealer for that one.

Hope this helps,
Good luck.

Old July 19th 05, 03:33 AM
finding z0

I always expect some pain when going to a dealer. They usually do a
proper fix though (hte one I've been using at least). All the money
I've saved not going to dealers for their expensive check-ups is the
fund I use to pay to fix things that go wrong. I usually come out ahead
with this approach. Thanks for the heads-up. I do a lot less myself
these days. No time. No desire.

Old July 19th 05, 04:03 AM
jim beam

finding z0 wrote:
> Got in the 2001 Prelude this morning (40K miles). Started it and hit AC
> button about the same time and the bugger stalled and all the lights
> came on. Cranked but wouldn't start. Sounded a bit weak as well. Did
> the 'if you had a carb & flooded it routine' i.e., floored it and
> cranked. It limped alive but weakly. Let it build up some rpm's then
> hit the AC button (80deg & 91% humidity at 8AM). No joy. The AC was
> dead. The night before I went to pick my daughter up at the mall. The
> mall lot was flooded from downpours (police, emergency, fire, camera
> crews, etc.). Some cars had water up to their windows. I skirted the
> flood (did hit some shallow water at speed that splashed a bit (noted a
> strange ping)and drove on. Took her home w/o incident.
> I decided to leave the the Prelude in the garage and got in the '91
> Integra (AC repaired last month). Drove a few blocks and the oil light
> came on. This car has 140K miles and never burned a drop of oil.
> Called my 18yr old daughter and asked her if she noticed a light on her
> r/t to Chicago 2 weeks ago (388 mi). She said no, nor on the brief
> errand she ran the day before. Stopped at Jiffy lube and they added
> 2-2.5 qts (they had changed the oil 1000 mi earlier). There was a bit
> of oil around the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. I drove it to
> work. I'll follow the oil on this one just to make sure they hadn't
> underfilled it the first time. What's this gasket work gonna cost me at
> a dealer?
> Cheers.
> p.s life is good on other days.

both gaskets are cheap. you can change them yourself. but i doubt
they're the issue - if this car had leaked 2.5 quarts, there would be
oil all over the place, including the floor of your garage, all under
the car, it would be a real mess. if it had burned 2.5 quarts, you'd
see the smoke. /much/ more likely the jiffy-monkey did not fill it
properly.

Old July 19th 05, 04:25 AM
finding z0

That's what I was thinking or they overfilled it and she burst a gasket
on the Chi. trip, or it was just time for the gasket to let go.
This eve leaving work, I was looking for an oil spot. I wasn't
disappointed. I could see the oil stream from 75 ft away. At least a
qt.or 1.5. I tried to get a tow. Would've had to wait too long (AAA).
Decided there was enough oil to drive to the dealer (closed). Ended up
driving home. The oil was just above the bottom mark. The oil light
stayed off on the way home. Taking it in Thurs. The Prelude started
and the AC came on? We'll see in the morn. Cheers

Old July 19th 05, 04:48 AM
jim beam

finding z0 wrote:
> That's what I was thinking or they overfilled it and she burst a gasket
> on the Chi. trip, or it was just time for the gasket to let go.
> This eve leaving work, I was looking for an oil spot. I wasn't
> disappointed. I could see the oil stream from 75 ft away. At least a
> qt.or 1.5. I tried to get a tow. Would've had to wait too long (AAA).
> Decided there was enough oil to drive to the dealer (closed). Ended up
> driving home. The oil was just above the bottom mark. The oil light
> stayed off on the way home. Taking it in Thurs. The Prelude started
> and the AC came on? We'll see in the morn. Cheers

check under the oil filter. if the jiffy-monkeys forgot to make sure
the old gasket was removed, you'll get double gasketing and dramatic
"streaming" failure like you describe.

Old July 19th 05, 04:56 AM
finding z0

Interesting. I never changed the oil on this baby as it was hard to get
to the bolt. I have til thurs. to check it out. Minus picking up my 10
yr old, cooking dinner, work, etc. Thanks!
Hey JB, ever tried single malt?

Old July 21st 05, 03:51 AM
finding z0

It turns out the Jiffy-boyz overtightened and stripped the oil pan
bolt. Honda will write this up when I get the bill for what will
probably be a new oil pan. How to I get the lube-boyz to pay for this?

Old July 21st 05, 05:30 AM
jim beam

finding z0 wrote:
> It turns out the Jiffy-boyz overtightened and stripped the oil pan
> bolt. Honda will write this up when I get the bill for what will
> probably be a new oil pan. How to I get the lube-boyz to pay for this?

call local management and ask them to reimburse you. if that doesn't
work, call their corporate offices. if that doesn't work, call your
local paper's consumer affairs reporter - they usually love stories like
this. bad publicity is way more expensive than the cost of seeing you
right.

Old July 21st 05, 05:27 PM
finding z0

The local guy seems to be cooperating. They send a report to corporate
with the bill I give them (when I get it). I told Honda to describe
what they found in some detail. I'll keep you posted if yer
interested. I've used J-L since I bought this car in '91 (and couldn't
reach the oil filter) w/o any issues other than the price. Cheers