Questions on 30,000 mile service

Old January 29th 05, 11:39 PM
Jim Y.

Default Questions on 30,000 mile service

Hello, I got a few questions about the 30,000 mile service. I have a
2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 liter w/Selectrac (part time and full
time 4x4). It was purchased in early 2003 though.

I'm at 28,000 miles now and have 2 Jeep dealers nearby. Their service on
most items is the same: oil change, change trans fluid/filter (not
flush), check belts, hoses, PCV valve....check coolant and flush if
needed, rotate tires, emissions, etc.

One big differerence is this:

Dealer #1 charges $479, but also replaces the spark plugs and "inspects
basic idle and set engine controls to factory specifications".

Dealer #2 charges $359 and does NOT replace spark plugs but includes
"perform throttle body-fuel inductions service".. What is that? Sounds
like cleaning the injectors (?)

My basic question is this: Do you recommend changing the plugs at 30,000
miles? I'm quite sure I don't have platinum plugs and I don't think I've
ever replaced plugs at 30,000 miles. The vehicle runs great and I want
to maintain it though.

Also I plan to request a transmission FLUSH, even if I have to pay more.
(I've done this on all my vehicles) Also, should I request 4x4/transfer
case service too? This is listed as a seperate stand-alone service and
charge. What does the 4x4 service get you?

Thanks!

Jim

Old January 29th 05, 11:54 PM
DougW

Jim Y. did pass the time by typing:
> Hello, I got a few questions about the 30,000 mile service. I have a
> 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 liter w/Selectrac (part time and full
> time 4x4). It was purchased in early 2003 though.
>
> I'm at 28,000 miles now and have 2 Jeep dealers nearby. Their service on
> most items is the same: oil change, change trans fluid/filter (not
> flush), check belts, hoses, PCV valve....check coolant and flush if
> needed, rotate tires, emissions, etc.
>
> One big differerence is this:

It's not that big of a difference. More like one wants all your money
and a reach-around and the other just wants all your money.

> Also I plan to request a transmission FLUSH.

Useless overpriced service at just 30,000 unless your tranny got
contaminated with water. That and there are cheaper places to get it done.

My 30,000 mile sevice consisted of the things I do anyway.
1) oil
2) filters (air, oil, and fuel) although your fuel filter is in the
tank and doesn't need replacement unless it gets stopped with bad fuel.
3) xfr case fluid (two bolts, 4min job)
4) tire rotation
5) check the coolant, belts, hoses, etc.

That's about it. Save your money, buy the service manual and get your
hands a bit dirty.

Here is a clue. I have over 120,000 miles, half under a blower, and
the tranny has only had it's fluid changed three times. The diffs, once.
The xfr case about five times (simply because it's easy to do)
and oil every 3000-5000 miles with a fresh filter.

Most of the dealer suggested stuff is pure ripoff. They would have
you believe your vehilce will fall apart without spending big bucks
every year or so.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old January 30th 05, 03:59 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

> Dealer #1 charges $479, but also replaces the spark plugs and "inspects
> basic idle and set engine controls to factory specifications".

Huge rip-off. Plugs shouldn't have to be changed at 30K miles.

And "set engine controls to factory specifications" simply means he
disconnects the battery for about 5 minutes to reset the ECM parameters. All
this does is makes the ECM "forget" what it "learned" about your driving
habits and resets to default factory mode, after which it will "relearn"
after about 50 miles of driving. What's he charge for that? $49.95?

Slimeball.

Old January 30th 05, 04:02 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

> Dealer #2 charges $359 and does NOT replace spark plugs but includes
> "perform throttle body-fuel inductions service".. What is that? Sounds
> like cleaning the injectors (?)

A $6 bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. He might actually
open the hood a spritz the throttle body with some cleaner, but probably
not. What's the charge for this service? $39.95?

Again, slimeball.

Old January 30th 05, 06:26 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Matt, you might take another look at your maintenance schedule:
http://www.billhughes.com/lubeSchedule.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old January 30th 05, 10:17 AM
Dave Milne

I think the 30K service is oil, suspension lub, aircleaner,plugs and
possibly t/f case fluid

--
Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old January 30th 05, 02:47 PM
Jim Y.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

On most of my other vehicles (non Jeeps) I've not adhered to the
maintenance schedule as closely.... tranny usually at 45,000 miles.

But, several Jeep owners I know-- some who have had numerous Jeeps, have
said, by experience, that they avoided costly repairs by going by the
maintenance schedules---- especially with the transmission and
differential fluids.

I was trying to get a feel if these vehicles are a little more "high
maintenance" than other cars/trucks.

Jim

Old January 30th 05, 03:04 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

I normally change mine at 50K.

Old January 30th 05, 07:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Then I would use all of your snake oils to clean the carbon build
up in your combustion chambers and valves stems cause by your missing
firing plugs.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 30th 05, 10:51 PM
DougW

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:
> Nothing's missing now. My Ford van called for new plugs at 75K miles.
> Technology has come a long way since 1953.

I replace plugs every year (10,000 miles)
basically because they are cheap and it's easy
to tell any internal problems by looking at the plugs.

--
DougW