big problems please help

Old September 4th 06, 06:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
liney

Default big problems please help

my friends 1992 520i needed servicing so we did it as it was a cheap car.
he later went on to look on a website for ways to reset serv/insp lights
and tried bridging 7/14/19 in the inspection socket wich clearly didnt
work.
any1 with ideas what has happened and how to fix it your help would be
great cheers

Old September 4th 06, 07:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article outautos.com>,
liney > wrote:
> my friends 1992 520i needed servicing so we did it as it was a cheap
> car. he later went on to look on a website for ways to reset serv/insp
> lights and tried bridging 7/14/19 in the inspection socket wich clearly
> didnt work. any1 with ideas what has happened and how to fix it your
> help would be great cheers

There must be a million articles out there on how to do this.

But all you need to do is ground pin 11 then switch on the ignition
without starting the engine. Then turn off when the oil service lights
re-set. To re-set the inspection light leave on longer.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 4th 06, 07:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
liney

ITS NOT HOW TO RESET LIGHTS THE CAR WONT START ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET IT
SORTED

Old September 4th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article outautos.com>,
liney > wrote:
> ITS NOT HOW TO RESET LIGHTS THE CAR WONT START ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET IT
> SORTED

You've probably f**cked something up, then. Seek professional help.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Old September 4th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:50:38 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

>In article outautos.com>,
> liney > wrote:
>> ITS NOT HOW TO RESET LIGHTS THE CAR WONT START ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET IT
>> SORTED

>You've probably f**cked something up, then. Seek professional help.

You're on your own with this one, Dave.
--
Dan.
Old September 5th 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"liney" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> ITS NOT HOW TO RESET LIGHTS THE CAR WONT START ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET IT
> SORTED

Have you fried the ECU by sticking volts into the wrong pins?

Old September 5th 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

No need to YELL. You did not make it clear what the trouble is.

As Dave said, there are tons of websites out there that give the procedure.
He goes on to say Pin 11, but I think this is an error.

In any case, you do not seem interested in the right way to reset the lights
as much as you want to know what the recovery operation is after doing it
wrong.

It sounds like in your stupidity you managed to blow the computer to
smitherings, if so then you are pretty much on your own.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 5th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> No need to YELL. You did not make it clear what the trouble is.
>
> As Dave said, there are tons of websites out there that give the
> procedure. He goes on to say Pin 11, but I think this is an error.
>
> In any case, you do not seem interested in the right way to reset the
> lights as much as you want to know what the recovery operation is after
> doing it wrong.
>
> It sounds like in your stupidity you managed to blow the computer to
> smitherings, if so then you are pretty much on your own.

Worse yet, it sounds like he did it to a friend's car.

Eisboch

Old September 4th 06, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

> But all you need to do is ground pin 11 then switch on the ignition
> without starting the engine. Then turn off when the oil service lights
> re-set. To re-set the inspection light leave on longer.

Or spend a tenner getting a reset tool from euro car parts. I use one as
it saves the danger of grounding the wrong pins by accident!

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old September 5th 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote
> liney > wrote:
>> my friends 1992 520i needed servicing so we did it as it was a cheap
>> car. he later went on to look on a website for ways to reset serv/insp
>> lights and tried bridging 7/14/19 in the inspection socket wich clearly
>> didnt work. any1 with ideas what has happened and how to fix it your
>> help would be great cheers

> There must be a million articles out there on how to do this.
>
> But all you need to do is ground pin 11 then switch on the ignition
> without starting the engine. Then turn off when the oil service lights
> re-set. To re-set the inspection light leave on longer.

It should be 7 & 19.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-11039.html
There is a different (and easier) way to do modern cars (e46, etc.)
Pin 14 is 12v. Shorting that to ground (pin 19) and the service interval
Pin 7,
is *NOT* a good thing. As some other people have mentioned, you've
probably fried something.

FloydR