1990 Cherokee won't run over approx. 1500rpm

Old August 25th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default 1990 Cherokee won't run over approx. 1500rpm

Almost giving up..

Renix ECU (replaced couple of years ago with Bendix)Multi point fuel
injection, 4.0 litre inline six with manual transmission, 110K miles.
It has been doing this over a year now,it feels like this Jeep has a
mind of it's own...sometimes good day,sometimes bad day (mostly bad
days recently).
Problem is, that sometimes it just dont run over 1500rpm, it doesnt
matter how much i press
the gas pedal,it just sputters and rpm gauge drops to zero,it does not
matter what gear i'm using,if i depress the gas pedal slightly then it
keeps going slowly and rpm gauge comes back alive.

But when it runs fine it really runs like it should (almost like a
sportscar)..

CPS sensor is brand new and giving nice pulses,O2 sensor is brand
new,TPS sensor is giving smooth voltage,coolant temperature sensor is
ok,manifold air temperature sensor is ok,MAP sensor seems to be ok,EGR
seems to work, stator in the distributor is giving nice pulses,fuel
pump ballast resistor is 1 ohm, (every sensor checked according to Jeep
Renix Fuel Injection Manual) i have checked the sensors using digital
multimeter (and oscilloscope for pulse giving sensors). I have done
measurements near to ECU connectors (by cutting/peeling the wires).
One strange thing is, that there is no noticeable difference if knock
sensor wires are connected or not.. and it it was also giving knock
pulses..more rpms,more and higher pulses. Basically my question is,what
should i try next...
could this problem be fuel related ?
what are the reasons which can make rpm gauge drop to zero?
For me it just seems to be electrical...i dont know anymore..

Please answer if someone have a clue about this.

Old August 25th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I don't see fuel filter in there.

Also there is a body ground that runs from the rear of the head to the
firewall. If it goes bad, the vehicle has to steal grounds. Sometimes
it can get a good one, sometimes not...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 25th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
One out of many daves

clogged exhaust maybe?
did you hook a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold to see what it reads?

Bad distributor rotor/cap, weak ign coil?
clogged vacuum tube/hose to MAF sensor?

did you check the fuel pressure with a cheapie tire gauge or fuel pressure
gauge? BE CAREFUL and use common sense please!!!

is this a USA model or an import to you?
--
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

oups.com...

Old August 26th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

My '88 did that one on me - your MOPAR replacement should be similar.
Seems that when I replaced the CPS I didn't tie the CPS sensor lead
close enough to the firewall. It had just enough slack for the cable
to make contact with the ehhaust, which naturally melted the
insulation on the wire and would tempporarily short out the CP against
the exhaust. One wet day, the intermittent became chronic and I made
the last 5-6 miles home with the engine revving to a max of about 1250
RPM and no real power above 1000 RPM. Same thing you describe - I
basically had a little more than idle RPM. Got some real funny looks
as I accelerated ever so slowly away from stops shifting when I felt
it start to bog. Changed the CPS and problem was gone. Moral: check
the CPS and all related connections.

Old August 26th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore

One out of many daves wrote:
> clogged exhaust maybe?
> did you hook a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold to see what it reads?
>
> Bad distributor rotor/cap, weak ign coil?
> clogged vacuum tube/hose to MAF sensor?
>
> did you check the fuel pressure with a cheapie tire gauge or fuel pressure
> gauge? BE CAREFUL and use common sense please!!!
>
> is this a USA model or an import to you?

I second a clogged catalytic converter.
(or muffler, although I've gone through more converters then mufflers)
Old August 26th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Thanks for all about the replys !
It is import model, i live in Finland.

I added extra ground cable from head to the firewall.
CPS wires are ok (not melted),i replaced the wires some time ago.
Exhaust/catalytic is not clogged,but i'll take a closer look.
I havent check manifold vacuum or fuel pressure yet.
Fuel filter,distributor rotor/cap are on the list to replace,right when
i can get them.
Where is MAF sensor located ?

Sami

Old August 26th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Hmm....

In my book, the distributor cap, rotor, and the fuel filter would be the
'first' things to replace, not the last.....

You could have a 16 year old distributor cap in there and I will bet the
fuel filter 'is' 16 years old....

My 88 bogged down like that once. When I went to replace the fuel
filter, it literally crumbled to pieces.

The MAP sensor is on the firewall center on those I believe with one
vacuum line running to it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

> Thanks for all about the replys !
> It is import model, i live in Finland.
>
> I added extra ground cable from head to the firewall.
> CPS wires are ok (not melted),i replaced the wires some time ago.
> Exhaust/catalytic is not clogged,but i'll take a closer look.
> I havent check manifold vacuum or fuel pressure yet.
> Fuel filter,distributor rotor/cap are on the list to replace,right when
> i can get them.
> Where is MAF sensor located ?
>
> Sami

1990 Jeep Cherokee LTD no start/no spark [email protected] Technology 18 May 4th 06 05:45 PM
1990 jeep cherokee no start spydey Jeep 5 May 4th 06 05:25 PM
1990 Jeep Cherokee jaska 4x4 0 September 17th 05 05:43 AM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
1990 Cherokee hard to crank Jeff Falkiner Chrysler 4 October 22nd 04 04:36 AM