Is a Jetta TDI a good car?

Old July 10th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jeff Olsen

Default Is a Jetta TDI a good car?

I am seriously considering one of these, primarily for the fuel economy
and the potential to run it on Biodiesel. I have never owned a VW and
the reputation sort of precedes them... supposed to be fun to drive,
lots of personality, but prone towards nickle-and-dime repairs. I own
2 Toyotas right now; will a modern VW be a step down in reliability?
Anything I should know about these cars? I am hoping to spend in the
$13k-$16k range, so I'll be looking at say '02 to '04 model years with
30-70K miles on them.

It will be my wife's car. Right now, through sort of a convoluted
path, I have two heavy-duty vehicles that get poor fuel mileage (Land
Cruiser and Tundra) and, doing the math, even though I love the Land
Cruiser's capability as a family adventure mobile, the gas mileage is
brutal and a Jetta TDI would literally save me pushing 2 grand a year
in fuel costs. So that's a roundabout way of saying, for camping or
going skiing in bad weather, we'd take the Tundra... the Jetta will be
used primarily for buzzing about with the kids and lighter-duty type
applications. Anything from soccer-mom stuff to going to the beach or
a paved-road only road trip (we do the other kind too <g>).

I appreciate any advice or comments.

-jeff

Old July 10th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom R.[_1_]

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon which I purchased new. I have 42K miles on it
at the moment. We also have a Touareg, a Chevy Taho and an older Saab
convertible. I sold a 1988 BMW 735i which I loved but it was getting up
there in maintenance expense. The Jetta is a blast. I cannot fit two adults
in back, but it carries everything. I get around 40 to 45 mpg depending on
where I buy the fuel and driving environment. It is quick and maneuverable.
I have taken the Jetta when I go skiing, but this year I am considering the
Nikko (sp?) tires for winter use. When they finally allow diesel sales in my
state again I think that I will look at the Passat diesel. I tried B20; it
worked well enough, but my mileage dropped somewhat and there is only one
place that sells it around here to which is a pain to drive.

Tom

oups.com...

Old July 10th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bryan K. Walton

On 2006-07-10, Jeff Olsen > wrote:
> I am seriously considering one of these, primarily for the fuel economy
> and the potential to run it on Biodiesel.
> Anything I should know about these cars? I am hoping to spend in the
> $13k-$16k range, so I'll be looking at say '02 to '04 model years with
> 30-70K miles on them.

Focus in on 2003 or earlier. If you want to go higher than 5%
biodiesel, you should stay away from the Pump Duesse (sp?) VWs. I
believe the PDs started in 2004. They use different injector
technology and can possibly cause problems with higher concentrations
of biodiesel. Check out the biodiesel forums at the TDI Club and you
will find a lot of information on the PDs and biodiesel:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

-Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old July 10th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Bryan K. Walton" > wrote in message
ink.com...
> Focus in on 2003 or earlier. If you want to go higher than 5%
> biodiesel, you should stay away from the Pump Duesse (sp?) VWs. I
> believe the PDs started in 2004. They use different injector
> technology and can possibly cause problems with higher concentrations
> of biodiesel. Check out the biodiesel forums at the TDI Club and you
> will find a lot of information on the PDs and biodiesel:
>
> http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Probably the best candidate for biodiesel is an older non-TDI VW.

Old July 11th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jeff Olsen

Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> On 2006-07-10, Jeff Olsen > wrote:
> > I am seriously considering one of these, primarily for the fuel economy
> > and the potential to run it on Biodiesel.
> > Anything I should know about these cars? I am hoping to spend in the
> > $13k-$16k range, so I'll be looking at say '02 to '04 model years with
> > 30-70K miles on them.

> Focus in on 2003 or earlier. If you want to go higher than 5%
> biodiesel, you should stay away from the Pump Duesse (sp?) VWs. I
> believe the PDs started in 2004. They use different injector
> technology and can possibly cause problems with higher concentrations
> of biodiesel. Check out the biodiesel forums at the TDI Club and you
> will find a lot of information on the PDs and biodiesel:
>
> http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Thanks! I'll go check that out. I like this group already. :-)

-jeff

Old July 11th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Good car, yes, but buy an extended warranty.

oups.com...

Old July 11th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jeff Olsen

Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:
> Good car, yes, but buy an extended warranty.

.....because?

-jeff

Old July 11th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
mrbisset

Jeff Olsen wrote:
> Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:
> > Good car, yes, but buy an extended warranty.

> ....because?
>
> -jeff

because they are not reliable! I had a 2000 jetta and it started
breaking down at 12K miles. The electric seats wouldn't work and the
drivers was stuck in full recline for months!!! Then the brake lights
went out and the electric lock on the trunk went out...so it would
never shut. And numerous other owners I have talked to say the same
things...since '93 on, their reliability is really bad. Its a shame
because I love VW's too. I was fortunate to be given a 1981 rabbit
diesel a few years ago, sold the 2000 Jetta, and never looked back! I
get 50mpg out of a $700 car that runs about $200/yr in maintenamce.
Seriously! Oh yea, and insurance is $600/yr. I know its not suited
for a family, but its the best bang for the buck.

My other car is a Honda Accord wagon, and I love the VW wagons, but
they just aren't worth the risk or poor reliability. My '94 Honda
wagon was $5k 3 years ago and I put 100K miles on it since then. It
has never been to a mechanic for maintenence! Its got 189,000 on the
clock! The repair savings of a reliable vehicle far outweighs the fuel
savings on an unreliable diesel.

Old July 11th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I suggest you buy the used VW TDI for yourself. Or a new one for your wife
as a last resort. I doubt you're really serious about Bio diesel too. You
wish to save gas money, but want to pay someone a premium for biodiesel over
diesel. And you wish to buy a 13-16 k car to do it. Your wife's not going
to let you set up a Biodiesel plant in your garage , for 4 grand to save 500
bucks a year for your TDI. Buy a Corolla or some other upper scale Toyota
for your wife. To buy a used TDI for your wife is asking for problems.
Basically because you have Toyota's already. She's probably not going to
tolerate Pidley issues. Or the big 500- 1000 dollar chingers from the
dealers. VWs are many steps down from a Toyota in reliability, not one.
You're gonna get blamed for your choice. Its gonna cost you, heartache and
sack time. If you just got to have somebody else's used TDI, to get 45mpg,
go for it. But it's yours , Not hers. But for 13-16k you can get your wife a
brand new Toyota, at 40 mpg. Better in everyway to VW TDIs except gas
mileage, and no farging maintenance headaches.
oups.com...

Old July 12th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

I'm getting kind of tired of people coming on to this post and slamming
VWs all the time. I have owned many VWs and worked on cars of many
brands. Yes VWs require maitenance, so does every car. Its just a
fact of life. I own VWs because they are a blast to drive, and yes I
own a turbo diesel made after 1993 (2 actually) and they do cost me
money to keep going but they also make my drive to work every day
enjoyable. There is lots of stupid engineering on VWs but so is there
on every car. So try to give some useful advice instead of just
slanderous comments. If you have a bad experience with a VW back it up
with facts like "it cost me $750.37 to have my injection pump rebuilt."
Here is my evidence in favour of VW diesels, I have a 1994 Golf turbo
diesel with 405000kms on it and it gets me back and forth to work every
day (60kms one way city and highway) and I get 45mpg to 50mpg. I
perform regular maitenance like brakes air and oil filter etc etc.
Hasn't let me down and still has amazing power. Engine has never been
opened up(Im the second owner.)

[Fwd: Help! '87 Jetta no start] Rex Burkheimer VW water cooled 0 March 15th 05 11:37 PM
HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS! [email protected] VW water cooled 1 January 27th 05 12:42 PM
cooling site tim VW air cooled 13 January 27th 05 04:33 AM
Good enough tires for a Grand Prix ? Barry General 2 August 23rd 04 05:53 PM